buttrfluttr

Bye Bye to Boring Ceiling Light

buttrfluttr
10 years ago
A fun diy job that required no wiring and has made a big difference to the space!

Comments (15)

• PRO
    ASVInteriors
    10 years ago
    you might wish to post a before and after and better resolution - very hard to say!
  • buttrfluttr
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Lol, now where did the 'after' pic go? I'll try again : )
  • PRO
    ASVInteriors
    10 years ago
    Well that is definitely a 1000% improvement!
  • Fred S
    10 years ago
    You must post a picture at night with the light on.
  • PRO
    Iris K. Rizenbah Lighting Design
    10 years ago
    Looks very nice!
  • Fred S
    10 years ago
    Look nice, but as an electrician, I must tell you that those are not UL approved. If you are not careful you can trap too much heat and damage the wire insulation over time. Leave a little gap at the ceiling to let the air circulate better.
  • PRO
    ASVInteriors
    10 years ago
    Hi Fred - if a gap is left at the ceiling won't the light escape through there and ruin the effect of the light. How is this addressed in other lighting? I am not an electrician but this is an interesting dilemma that should be addressed here for all to learn!
  • Fred S
    10 years ago
    Well that is probably why it is not UL approved. The watts a light fixture is rated for is based on its design. I do not know how much extra heat this will hold, but UL would solve the issue by lowering the size lightbulb it is rated for. A few years ago, the NEC decided that all light fixtures have to be UL approved, probably for this reason. I am not saying don't do it. Just be very aware and don't block in the heat. I cannot tell specifically what may be appropriate for every different kind of light fixture from my house. They are all rated differently for different reasons.
  • buttrfluttr
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks for your input Fred. The glass casing of the original oyster light was removed before installing the new light fixture, and no part of the new fixture touches any part of the oyster light base. There is actually more air flow now than with the previous, original fixture. I will run the set up by my electrician when he comes to check a light switch in another room, and post his response. Many thanks.
  • Fred S
    10 years ago
    That will probably work.
  • buttrfluttr
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Just finished hanging the last of the chandeliers. Here's a before and after of the first to go up, replacing the very outdated and undersized original fixtures on the mezzanine level. Any opinions on whether to paint over the wood on the sloped ceilings?
  • Jaycel Deleon
    10 years ago
    My dream houzz
  • Jaycel Deleon
    10 years ago
    Dream houzzzzz....will alwayz be a dream for me,...haaayyzzz