kooopons

Exterior Paint advice- Rustic mountain cabin

kooopons
6 years ago

We are in the process of purchasing this home. The exterior is wood siding and it will need to be painted. It is currently a drab color with monotone palette and I would love to maybe see a red or a gray/blue with red door?

Any advice on how to spruce this up? The interior has a gorgeous 2 story stone fireplace with knotty pine ceiling and dark wood stained beams, hardwood floors in main living areas. The entry is slate tile.

Here are a couple color palettes I was considering

Comments (17)

• Olychick
    6 years ago

Cute place! I recently drove somewhere and saw a similar small house painted the most gorgeous shade of red that about knocked my socks off. Never would I have thought it could look so good. I wish now I remembered where I was and that I could get a picture of it. That said, it was in a bit of a rural farm setting and I wonder if red would be as at home in a mountain cabin setting?

Both pics that you posted look good, but I always love woodsy colors in woodsy settings. Would greens be too tame for you? Or some blues are pretty, too.

I'm not crazy about the white trim on this, but the green is nice, I think - might look great with a red door, too.

kooopons thanked Olychick
  • ck_squared
    6 years ago

I like the first color palette you chose (blue/red). I'd take off the shutters and replace with wide trim painted white just like in that photo, too.

kooopons thanked ck_squared
  • lisaam
    6 years ago

If you remove the shutters, your more narrow trim won't have the same impact as the photo of the blue house. Your shutters call out the (smallish) windows in a nice way. Either of your inspiration pics, or Oly's teal color, would be pretty. Your cottage will love color!

kooopons thanked lisaam
  • kooopons
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you! I hope to have a lot of red accents inside so I was wanting to do some red on the outside. There is another home in the area that is red and it's really well done. A lot of the homes in this community are cedar sided and live edge wood siding. A mix of very rustic to typical mountain style homes.

Oly- I love that first photo- I have it pinned in my mountain house folder. Not sure I want to go green- although I also saved this combo which I think it pretty. I could see a green/gray perhaps. I think this is balanced from the brown and I don't want to end up looking like Christmas on the outside.

I think I want to keep the shutters as they seem to add a little something, but perhaps chunkier trim would work too. I need a Photoshop expert ;)

Here are a few of the inside and the gorgeous fireplace. These are from the listing- not my furnishings.

Stairs wrap around fireplace

Some of my thoughts for the inside- I actually own those two wine posters that I was using as color inspiration. They are perfect because it's a mountain home in a ski community and on a lake!

• lisaam
    6 years ago

Wow, the outside is sweet, but the inside will be fab.

kooopons thanked lisaam
  • kooopons
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Right, lisaam! It's so unexpected on the inside of that little looking house!

• Olychick
    6 years ago

Well, regardless of what you do, it's going to be fabulous!

• arcy_gw
    6 years ago

I would start with a WOW color metal roof. The red you hope for the door? It will be super cute when done!!

• Boopadaboo
    6 years ago

I would lose the shutters. I think a dark red can be nice, not a barn red. but I really love brown houses in the woods too.

• jb1586
    6 years ago

Yes to a dark brown house, with a green roof, and green trim. Iconic in the Adirondacks.

• powermuffin
    6 years ago

Love that rendition Justerrilynn!!!

• Boopadaboo
    6 years ago

I just can't get over it. It seems like the tardis for sure! You didn't mention where it is, I do think that can matter. California vs Maine Vs NY, etc. I love the idea of the Adirondack look....

I also love this green one!

kooopons thanked Boopadaboo
  • Boopadaboo
    6 years ago

or you could use a feng s hui approach based on which direction your house faces! house direction to color of exterior chart

kooopons thanked Boopadaboo
  • kooopons
    Original Author
    6 years ago

justerrilynn - That rendition is AMAZING!! Thank you for showing that. I love what you did with the front and the porch. I am leaning more toward the red now after seeing that. Also loving it without the shutters and chunkier window trim. Thank you again, it helps so much to visualize the choices!

For brown fans, I like the brown accented with the red- but thinking I want to go bolder. I still really like the blue too. decisions decisions.

• Bunny
    6 years ago

I vote for red.

• chickadee2_gw
    6 years ago

Great job, justerrilynn! You have a good eye. I like how you beefed up the front with the trim and stonework.

Kooopons, you've got yourself a little gem there. A little rough on the outside right now, but it doesn't need much to bring it to life. i like your plans for the interior. I think it would be fun to get it reappraised when you're finished. I bet people passed it by without looking at the interior pictures before. Too bad for them.

i think the red is nice. Blue is nice too.

Sponsored