nik_bisko

Living Room

Nik Bisko
7 years ago
Well, here it goes. I just purchased my first home and am looking for some color scheme advice. Below is pictures of the living room. I was thinking something like a light grey. However, the issue I seem to run into has do do with the wood trim and the shadow boxes. I am not sure how to go about selecting a color scheme that would work with the wood floor. Any ideas are much appreciated.

Comments (12)

• studio3600
    7 years ago
    I would remove all that chair rail and faux wainscot trim. Paint the walls Light gray would be cool!
  • havingfun
    7 years ago

a floor is a floor it does not have to go with anything else.

• Nik Bisko
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Even though it's a dark stain? So you would recommend moving the faux wainscoting. I am looking at Network Grey. Or do you think darker? what color would you paint the fireplace?
  • wildcatblue
    7 years ago
    If you're going to paint the walls light gray I would recommend Gray Owl Benjamin Moore. It's a true gray and very light. It works well with any color palette. Network gray has blue undertones and will make the room appear blue depending on the light in your room. I would paint the fireplace a charcoal gray. Good luck!
  • studio3600
    7 years ago
    Agree with wildcat blue! It will look more modern not to mention easier to paint the whole wall. Paint the crown the dark charcoal like the fireplace. However, if that fireplace doesn't really put out heat I'd take it out as well. Paint those pipes the same as the wall. Why are the there anyway?
  • DH
    7 years ago
    you could paint all the trim white. thats what i would do. if you prefer not to, then paint the walls gray. its the closest neutral color that wont look bad with dark stained wood.

paint the wainscoting white or a darker gray color.

it depends on if you want it to look like every other gray modern looking house or if you want something quirky and unique or whatever. knowing that, that would help
  • studio3600
    7 years ago
    Here you go!
  • PRO
    Inner Visions Interiors
    7 years ago

Let's do this the easy way. The first thing to choose is an area rug. One that picks up the color of your existing furniture but adds more colors. Your space will look larger if you use an area rug that all the furniture sits on. The rug is your color anchor.

Th next step is matching the wall and trim color to the rug. In the top example we used two tones of soft yellow. Lighter above the chair rail, darker below, the off white tint of the same yellow on the trim, fireplace and ceiling. Add a bit of your wall color to your ceiling paint to take out the blue tint. Or paint the ceiling another color. It is the 5th wall. Make it easy, choose your rug first. www.CompanyC.com is a great place to start.

Nature loving Living room and dining room · More Info

Craftsman Cottage · More Info

• CLC
    7 years ago

I think the brown looks great with gray. I would paint the walls. Leave the floors and the trim alone.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    7 years ago

Remove all the trim boxes below the chair rail....paint everything a soft white upper and lower including the fireplace it will give it a fresh modern feel.....add a rug to ground the space...if you give us a floor plan...just draw it out on paper we can help with furniture placement....will you be keeping all the furniture? What color is the sofas? Grey?

• Susan Davis
    7 years ago

I agree with the above advice in that leave all the trim but paint it and the walls a light paint hue and just do eveyrting the same color....I even think you can paint out the stained wood trim but that is up to you; either way works.

Please sell the love seat or put it in your office, bedroom etc.....ditto the cocktail table. Acutally invest in an afternoon at Pottery Barn for some inspiration and they have free design advice, room arrangement etc. Add a pair of chairs with some interet in them, matching somewhat or contrast. Then accessorize what you have along the lines of Pottery Barn; they do a nice neutral masculine look that is comfortable and welcoming.

Like this maybe? Paint, lights, lamps, rug, strong design throw pillows, prints....all of this can be found at IKEA if you are doing budget but Pottery Barn lasts forever and is timeless.

Rustic beige

Pottery Barn · More Info

Industrial grey.

Anders Perssonsgatan 11 · More Info

Ideas and suggestions for you rliving room.

Pottery Barn has free design service so you can get a lot of info from them and only buy a rug or pillows or lamps....and I think they are having a sale now too. Good luck.