amyfamyf

Window treatment help

amyfamyf
7 years ago
Hello, I'd like to add some window treatments to soften up this room. However I don't think I'm in the position to add a lot of treatments at this time. So I'm wondering if I can pull off one long curtain panel where the picture is on the wall currently without having to put curtains in the dining nook. Here is the picture of my room, and here are some inspiration pictures. I'd like to do kind of a half rod thing. I guess my main question is could I pull off this look without the room looking only halfway done?

Comments (25)

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    7 years ago

Wait until you can do it right. Which means a long rod, over the entire window, and minimum double width panels on both !! sides .There is nothing wrong with your room as is. A matching standing lamp at the picture end would be nice: )

• Kate
    7 years ago
    You're going to end up covering a lot of the window on the bookcase side with side panels. Not a problem if you don't need the light.
  • PRO
    Gray & Walter, Ltd.
    7 years ago

Please leave it alone if you cannot do it the right way. The shutters are very attractive as is.

• PRO
    Shaker Interiors
    7 years ago

I think the windows are very pretty with the shutters. Sometimes less is more. You'd need a lot of fabric to do drapery panels with proper fullness and then you're going to be covering up much of the right window.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago
    I couldn't find a fig but this gives you idea of what a green plant can do to improve your beautiful home.
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Actually, before I'd even worry about the windows, I'd save my money to run the hardwood into the family room. Then I'd ditch the boxy shorter sofa for two comfy chairs in a light color and a nice table and lamp between them, or try the long sofa at the window and two chairs where the long sofa now is, to open up the space. I'd find a rug with some texture and pattern.....

Take another shot with a full view of the room. Yes to some healthy greenery too.

• PRO
    Niche Interiors
    7 years ago

Not sure if drapes are right for this space. As a previous poster mentioned the panel on the right would be very close to the builtins. If you do decide on drapes you need one rod to go across the entire living room window with two panels for symmetry. Good luck!

• dcotephoto
    7 years ago
    Agreed. I love it as is! Looks like a beautiful home!
  • amyfamyf
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thank you for your comments. I think I was relieved to know that the shutters could stand on their own and that I didn't necessarily need any drapery. I love the picture with the plant, that is the area that seems so empty. I'd love to do an area rug for this area as well but am struggling to know what color or pattern. I'm leaning towards something whitish? I think I'd eventually like to do two full-size sofas or a sectional. This is our only TV in the house so I'd love some comfortable seating for our family and friends. This room just doesn't feel complete and I'm trying to figure out what to do.
  • leelee
    7 years ago

Scoot the picture on the mantel over so it's centered with the fireplace opening.

It's okay to let items on the mantel overlap the picture. Try moving the two vases in about 4 or 5 inches.

• leelee
    7 years ago

Area rugs over carpet can be a hassle because the crawl and can also be a tripping hazzard. Might be better to get a lighter carpet for that room.

• PRO
    Inner Visions Interiors
    7 years ago
    Fabrics absorb sound and add warmth. The windows look fine.
    Add an area rug large enough to to cover the floor with the chairs pulled out. 8x 10' is my guess.
  • amyfamyf
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I was kind of thinking this rug? The sofas and coffee table were hand me downs so I could replace those in the future. I had them before moving into this new home.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

The carpet and furnishings look "warm" colors so rather than spend money on a rug which will be a hassle in my mind, I would work on getting two more chairs for this room. I would move the oversized chair to the other side of the grouping and see if you could put two chairs and a small table on the window side of the grouping. You could move the sofa back to about 12" from the edge of carpet and perhaps put a narrow sofa table behind it. Accessories on the coffee table and a taller table between the two new chairs will help bring some balance along with tall green plant in that corner as I posted in that mock up. It is a nice room but you need a few more pieces to complete it.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

Baxton Studio Jennifer Black Wood And Khaki Fabric Modern Lounge Chair · More Info
    Maybe a couple chairs like this to add some texture and interest to the room.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

chair · More Info
    Or something like this. Compact but bringing some interesting in either the wood or the fabric. Can be any fabric choice that works with your sofa.

• niecie
    7 years ago

Amyfamyf, what is the width of the shutter blind you have? I'm thinking of installing this type in my home. Love your family room and I don't think I would add draperys either, so pretty as is!

• leelee
    7 years ago

Flo is right about adding two chairs. Smaller in size but still comfy. Plus, take it as an opportunity to add some color to the browns.

• amyfamyf
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Niecie they are 4 inch wide shutters. We love them!! Thank you.
  • amyfamyf
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Ok friends, I've taken your suggestions on adding two chairs and a taller table in between. Haven't had the chance to go pick up a larger plant yet. Also I probably need something different on the tables but I'm just playing with the large chairs right now. What do you think? Is this an improvement? I'm not sure how the coffee table goes? I'm a DIYer and could repaint it but I wouldn't know what color to go?
  • psmljj
    7 years ago

I think it looks nice the way it is now! I wouldn't do any curtains.

• amyfamyf
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    What kind of pillows would you suggest to go on the sofa?
  • PRO
    Finishing Touches
    7 years ago

You have done a beautiful job!!!!! I wouldn't have done curtains either. I do think a rug might be the finishing touch to your space, since the carpet and sofa are the same color.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

Headed in the right direction. Chairs are nice size. Not sure about no arms. Guys like arms. But size wise and color/fabric they look great! Your coffee table is OK, but it appears a bit too high for the height of the seat of your sofa. Sofa look a couple of inches lower than coffee table height. Not a huge problem, but other than that, it is OK. It also ties in the trim on the fireplace surround. I know you have young ones, but some accessories on the coffee table would help. Perhaps a stack of coffee table books pulling in the color from the new chairs. Then something black. Maybe a covered 'non-breakable" bowl, something like that. or a black decorative wooden box. A black tray with a small green succulent plant for some additional green. while I understand the suggestion for a rug under the coffee table, etc., with young ones, that is a tripping hazard and that coffee table looks like a trip to the emergency room for stitches to me. ?? Any problems so far? So, with the tall green plant (compact one that doesn't branch out far at all from the center so it doesn't take up too much visual space) and you will be in fine shape! Good job!