daylightca

Need Help with Our Living Room

daylightca
11 years ago
Hello, there. I'm a Houzz newbie. :)

We have a few basic furniture pieces which will stay, but would like some advice on accessories such as a rug & artwork.

We are in need of an area rug, but I just can't seem to find one that speaks to me. We will also need some art and end tables for the room.

The valances above the windows are going. We are ordering mechoshades, which will clean up the aesthetic while still affording us the view.

Thanks in advance for all suggestions!

Comments (295)

• Ann
    10 years ago
    Oh, remounted? I thought the picture above was a computer rendering. Mirrors are a pain to hang/move. If you've already hung them, I might leave them as they are.
  • daylightca
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Ann, you're right. That pic was a rendering, but I have already hung them. I'm a bit of a perfectionist, so I want to do it right. I also need to reposition some of the individual mirrors in order to get the effect for which I am looking. I'll take some pics a bit later.
  • Related Discussions

need help in designing of kitchen room and living room.

Q

Comments (2)
    I have tried to enlarge your plans but they become to blurry to read.....Is there anyway that you can post a larger jpeg?
    ...See More

Need help painting my living room wall

Q

Comments (1)
    Photos of the living room would be helpful.
    ...See More

Need help with my living room's renovation

Q

Comments (7)
    first of all, Thank you guys for those valuable inputs. yes, as far as cleaning goes, its just been finished installing and I have asked them to clean them up. And also, I observed that the frosting on the glass didn't look that good, so I am going for the filming on certain portions of the doors n windows. - Is there a particular quality of films that I may choose for this ? - Yes, lighting is definitely the criteria I had in mind which can bring up the finish to this. And i am worried about this , as I did not go for False Roofing, bcos the ceiling is already at a low height. I should really refine my ideas on the lighting part. - the stairs are floored with white Marble stone..My mom loves it and the matting on it might hinder its beauty, but yes I will surely consider that as well. Thank you again.
    ...See More

Need help for my living room

Q

Comments (10)
    Hello Soumya, If the make is similar the changed colors may not look as great. The best bet would be to wait for a couple of days as this is festive period most of the goods would be out of stock. But they would be addding to the stocks soon. Add it to wish list , if the website allows you to... Another option would be to go with accent chairs as you mentioned already. The make and finish being different wouldn't matter as much. And the last option is to get it customised same as existing one with a local vendor. Costly but more durable. Thanks, Nitin Cornerstone Designs Bangalore.
    ...See More
  • Ann
    10 years ago
    I know what you mean about the perfectionist thing. I recently hung two mirrors (well hubby did) and since they required molly bolts, my husband told me to be sure to make up my mind first. I cut out newspaper in the same size and taped it to the wall for a few days to make sure. Even after that, I'm not sure they're just the right height, but I'm keeping that opinion to myself for now :)
  • Ann
    10 years ago
    Well, after living with the mirrors for a bit at whatever height they're currently at, do they feel right? Can you kind of tell what height would be just right from where they are now?
  • daylightca
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I'm still living with them centered - not sure about it. I can take some pics later this evening.
  • daylightca
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    More shade pics
  • PRO
    essentials inside
    10 years ago
    Love the shades!

Lyvonne
  • Ann
    10 years ago
    Shades look great. Mirrors probably do too. If you're feeling they look just a bit off, probably no one else would notice. Too bad we can't split the difference. Mine (which my husband will be highly agitated if I mention) are just a little low :)
  • daylightca
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Haha! Here's the problem: I AM the husband!
  • daylightca
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I am still wondering if they look okay. Here's a pic I just snapped.
  • daylightca
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Here's another
  • daylightca
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Just so you all know, in stereotypical husband fashion I left my fingerprints all over the mirrors...
  • Ann
    10 years ago
    Oh that's funny - so you're the one hanging mirrors :) Actually, I think they look to be a perfect height. Great choice and nice job with that corner.
  • Ann
    10 years ago
    Wow, that really does look good - what a nice room!
  • daylightca
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks! I don't think I could have done it without feedback from the Houzz community. I'm a furniture guy, but accessories terrify me. This group gave me confidence and assistance in selecting the accessories.
  • daylightca
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Since I spent WAY too much time wondering about pillows for the sofa this week, I decided to move on to a more comfortable task - outdoor work!
  • Denita
    10 years ago
    I am mainly a lurker on this site, but I had to pop in and say that your room is perfect. Love the changes you have made including the rug purchase, the shades, the mirror and console. Totally envious of your view :)
  • daylightca
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks, Denita! I was a lurker until 7 weeks ago when I needed help. ;)
  • daylightca
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Ann, I'm starting to think you may be right. The mirror placement is slowly growing on me. We'll see if that holds true by tomorrow afternoon.
  • Ann
    10 years ago
    Yes, the mirror placement (and style) look great!
  • PRO
    Tres McKinney Design
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    This discussion is inordinately long with plenty of good recommendations. Maybe some one already mentioned this but just pick an area rug you like and that is big enough for at least the front legs of the chairs and sofa to sit on in order to unify the seating group and tighten up the distance between the chairs and sofa. The existing coffee table is useless as it is too far from either the sofa or chairs to sit a drink down on. You need a much larger coffee table to unify the seating group. Add a small table between the two chairs. No room is comfortable without tables near each seat. Just tighten up the furniture grouping add a large rug, art and side tables.
  • daylightca
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    For the late comers to this thread:
    - the 8 x 10 rug has been purchased and looks great in the room. I bought the first suggestion posted in this thread.
    - the furniture has been brought in a bit from the walls with front legs resting on the rug
    - a console and mirrors have been purchased for the empty corner
    - those ugly, dark window valances have been removed and replaced with new solar shades
  • daylightca
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I am still considering the following:
    - photo/painting/or wall sculpture for the wall above the sofa
    - 1 end table to sit near the sofa
    - 1 floor lamp to sit on the other side of the sofa, near the FP
    - 1 MAG stand to sit near the chairs
    - I still need to figure out something for the ugly FP and mantle.
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    Daylightca and Ann, your stories about leaving fingerprints all over the mirror and the whole height-issue reminded me of when we had to hang a chandelier in our library.
    I wrote a blog-post about it then (since changed my blog layout a bit, so please ignore the lack of paragraphs. They were there in the original post).
    So if you like a little chuckle:
    http://brinkbeestinenglish.blogspot.nl/2009/01/how-to-hang-chandelier.html

Feel free to ignore this though, I'm sure you must have better things to do :-)
  • Ann
    10 years ago
    Carolins - Loved it!
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    Ann, glad you did. Had a chuckle myself again reading it back :-) And the chandelier is still hanging.

Daylightca:
    - what would you say about a large black and white photo (on canvas) above the sofa. In fact, take a good picture of your favourite part of the view and have it printed in black and white on canvas :-D

- I thought you had your end table and magazine stand sorted?

- doubts about the lamp?

- I don't mind the stone on the fireplace. If possible without too much damage I'd just take down the mantle and leave it at that

- but if you don't like the stone: take a couple of deep breaths and either cover the fireplace in plasterboard and plaster over it,

- or cover it in dry-stacked stone or (large) tiles for a more up-to-date look.

Ledger Panel Stacked Stone Wall and Fireplaces · More Info

Magnusson Residence · More Info

I don't know if it's available in the USA, but Mosa makes a large tile that looks a bit like concrete. That would be fab! Or a relief tile or panel. Options galore.

Rox Residence · More Info

Christoffersen · More Info

A Royal View · More Info

Stainless Steel Fireplace and modularArts wall · More Info
  • PRO
    Alaska Elite Trim
    10 years ago
    "Alaska Wild" trim interest you?
  • daylightca
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Carolins, thanks for the input! I LOVE a few of the FP pics you posted. Covering or removing the stone is not an option, but I'm considering getting a cap built for the mantle in something more clean and modern. Regarding the end table, floor lamp, and MAG stand, I'm never confident until I just buy it and put it in the room. I wish I were a bit more decisive...
  • Ann
    10 years ago
    daylightca - I know what you mean about being indecisive. I've got a Houzz discussion going on right now about dining room chairs I'm considering purchasing and every comment is pulling me one direction or another regarding that decision :)
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    Ann, Daylightca and I are now going over to your place to have our say about the chairs :-)
  • Ann
    10 years ago
    Daylightca, carolins, etc., thanks for coming over to my place for a glass of wine and your comments! We had a big group, a good talk with several bottles of wine and I'm no longer undecided! The chairs will be added to my dining room in the not too far future.
  • Ann
    10 years ago
    Daylightca, please keep posting pictures if you add anything. I love your room! If I were much younger and hadn't accumulated so many not modern things over the years, I'd love a minimalist modern style and/or industrial (with an old red brick wall). Those are two current trends that I find very appealing!
  • daylightca
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Okay. Here's a pic of the mirror and console with some flowers the wife picked up
  • daylightca
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Ann, in terms of furniture I too am drawn to many different styles. This one seems to suite us best, in terms of our taste & lifestyle. Our home definitely displays the evolution of our tastes (LOL!). And I must add, when you have kids it's easier to keep a fairly minimal environment clean. :)
  • Ann
    10 years ago
    I LOVE the way the various angled panes of the mirror reflect different things in the room!!!
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    That mirror is so interesting. Good choice. Prefer it to a 'normal' mirror in a spot like this. Lovely with the flowers. I'd be tempted to turn the vase and place it more towards the corner, letting the flower bow into the room. This sort of closes the corner of the room and if you turn it, it opens up I think. If that makes sense. Always a case of trying and seeing what works best. I know... it's 'only a flower', but in a minimalist decor it can make all the difference.
    I'm not so keen on the plant, I have to say.
  • daylightca
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Ann, I'm SO glad we purchased the mirrors!
  • daylightca
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Carolins! I LOVE that plant, LOL! Clean, structured, minimal...what's not to love? ;)
  • daylightca
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    a few more pics I just snapped
  • daylightca
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    another
  • mjmil
    10 years ago
    You have made great decisions. Your space look excellent. I think you should go ahead and order the end table and the magazine rack. Terrific job.
  • printesa
    10 years ago
    It looks great! Love the rug.
  • Ann
    10 years ago
    I agree! That rug is fantastic in the room! It's so nice to walk into a well done room like yours - it just makes you feel like there is no better place to be!
  • daylightca
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    This is my normal vantage point from where I sit in the room.
  • PRO
    woollymama fiber arts
    10 years ago
    Hi daylightca, I noticed you mentioned wanting to add pillows and perhaps some color in a few of your posts. Here are some suggestions: I would add color and texture with pillows, and depending on artwork perhaps even some graphics. Here are some images of contemporary pillows that would work well in your space. Custom colors and designs are available and all are hand made in Vermont. Good luck with the finishing touches. A
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    Not a bad view :-)

How about a pair of these ;-)
  • daylightca
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Haha!
  • anne dee
    10 years ago
    Are you there yet?
  • daylightca
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Okay, now we help decorating for Christmas. We just sold nearly all of our old decorations! Check out the thread and thanks again for your contributions! https://www.houzz.com/discussions/redoing-our-christmas-decor-opinions-appreciated-dsvw-vd~757280
  • Salih Narman
    10 years ago
    Hello,

If you're still looking forward to see a rug that can speak to you:

Modern Bohemian Home Decor Ideas · More Info

VINTAGE Turkish Kilim Rug Carpet Handwoven by TurkishCraftsArts · More Info

VINTAGE Turkish Kilim Rug from Antalya Eye by TurkishCraftsArts · More Info

VINTAGE Turkish Kilim Rug 119" x 76" (305 x 194 CM) · More Info