sunnydiy

Kitchen makeover design

sunny diy
7 years ago

Hi Guys,

I have kitchen space and currently it looks pretty plane. The main target to makeover this kitchen is look & feel and proper utilization of the space.

I need another eye to suggest me the opinions on this makeover.

Attached are the pictures.

Thanks Suniti

Comments (18)

• apple_pie_order
    7 years ago

Do you have a kitchen designer?

• PRO
    William Roy Designer Kitchens
    7 years ago
    It would really help if you provided a floor plan view. Thanks.
    sunny diy thanked William Roy Designer Kitchens
  • sunny diy
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hey William , Thanks for the response. Floor plan is attached.

• Emily Jowers
    7 years ago

I'm confused by the dishwasher under the sink...Also, it might be annoying for the fridge to be across the island from the stove. You'll have to go around the island whenever you go to the fridge.

sunny diy thanked Emily Jowers
  • sunny diy
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks Emily for the reply. Yes we thought of this but we couldn't understand how and where to place the fridge. This is one of the concern we have with the design and we need help.

• Emily Jowers
    7 years ago

Do you not like the peninsula? The island could only be 2' wide max, so it doesn't add any more counter space than the peninsula does.

sunny diy thanked Emily Jowers
  • sunny diy
    Original Author
    7 years ago

the idea was to have the open kitchen so that the space opens up and look bigger.

• sunny diy
    Original Author
    7 years ago

it sounds good.But having no island will give us 8' space and if extend 6 inch towards the bottom cabinets then we'll have 7' space left. You look at the very first pic i attached with the dining area. I am not sure how the over all space will look like.

• Susan Davis
    7 years ago

I would consider putting cabinets on the short wall where the utility wall is. Have your stove there centered on the area. Move the sink so it is centered on the long wall where the cooktop is now. Put the fridge on the end run of cabinets closest to the dining table. That will give you an L shape kitchen with a nice work triangle. If you have your heart set on an island remove all the wall cabinets and install a large island.

Coastal Victorian Renovation · More Info
    This is not the style of your kitchen but it does show the layout I described above. L shape cabinetry with stove on short end, sink in the middle with DW to right of sink with cabinet above it for dish storage and the refridgerator on the end run so it is out of work triangle and conveniet to the dining area for serving or work triangle for prep and cooking. Island can be any style you desire.

L shape with island and open across from island; you might consider this layout if you desire an island.

Kitchen · More Info

Something like this?

Old Farm Road, Hampton · More Info

sunny diy thanked Susan Davis
  • james91328
    7 years ago

That was my layout in my old house-minus that beautiful utility room. I had a mobile island which was nice to take food from the fridge on; however, after Moving recently, I realized how much I hated the fridge so far from the sink. I eat a lot of fruits and veggies and it was a pain w prep. I have an open galley style like the one pictured above but my sink is in the island and fridge is on the wall behind. It just makes it easier than walking around.

sunny diy thanked james91328
  • mama goose_gw zn6OH
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

If you omit the cabinets on the bottom wall, except for the pantry in the entry, you could have an island without seating on the long side. I drew 12" cabinets on the back of the island, for extra storage, and extended the fridge a few more inches into the dining space in the following plan. I used 1" overhangs on the counters, and you have 37" of prep space, which is 1" more than the NKBA recommended minimum. The seating overhang is 15", DW return panel 2", sink cab 30", with 36" drawers on the end. You could split the 36" into 12" trash pull-out and 24" drawers, or use an under-sink trash pull-out:

The fridge is visible from the long hallway and foyer, which might not be something that you find acceptable.

sunny diy thanked mama goose_gw zn6OH
  • sunny diy
    Original Author
    7 years ago

2.6' is only available between pantry and utility door. Which affects the pantry door to open towards utility.

• sunny diy
    Original Author
    7 years ago

we can not have the DW unit on the island since we already have the stone floor installed. Doing the plumbing will cost us a lot. we can instead use the island for the cooktop. But not sure if the sitting area around the cooktop island would be a good option.

• _sophiewheeler
    7 years ago

You're going to be ripping up and repairing that floor if you do any other layout other than the one you have. Islands require electrical. Removing the peninsula requires floor repair. You have gone about the order of operations incorrectly to do this without damaging the floor. You have to accept floor damage and repair (or replacement) as part of a kitchen redo. Or you don't get to change anything.

sunny diy thanked _sophiewheeler
  • mama goose_gw zn6OH
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Cooktop on an island or peninsula is my least favorite layout, but I've read accounts by folks who love theirs. Keep in mind that the hood will need to have a higher cfm capacity, and will be more expensive than a corresponding wall mount.

At 4'6" wide, the pantry should have more than one door anyway, and it also doesn't need to be the full 24" deep, if that's not convenient--12, 15, or 18" would work. If that is not a wet wall between it and the bathroom, you could also reclaim a few inches of stud bay space.

Cindyandmocha's recessed pantry:

Scroll down in this thread for more info.

Hi, Sophie, how are the roses? :)

sunny diy thanked mama goose_gw zn6OH
  • sunny diy
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hi You All,

Thanks so so much for your suggestions. I really really appreciate it. mama goose_gw zn6OH you are awesome!!!! I have taken couple of suggestions provided by you and incorporating them in the kitchen makeover.

Thanks Everyone.

Regards,

Suniti

• PRO
    Meaghan Gross Interiors
    7 years ago

I would continue with the cabinets under the window and do the peninsula island in lieu of the floating piece. In other words, a big U shape. Also, it makes a HUGE difference when you do a counter depth built-in fridge instead of a free standing unit that will stick out. Most people do not realize this until its too late. Good luck!