tommyflan

POLL: Splashback - necessary or not?

Tom Flanagan
7 years ago

They're always a nice feature and I won't deny I'm a fan, but is a splashback really necessary or just an add-on?

Vote below and leave your thoughts in the comments!

Full Refurbishment & Extension of Victorian Family Home · More Info

Necessary
Not
I'm caught in between..

Comments (34)

• hounoc
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Caught in between. I think it's necessary behind the hob, probably a good idea behind the sink, and unnecessary everywhere else but sometimes nice to have for a uniform look.

• Bebe Price
    7 years ago

I love a splashback - especially a quirky one!

• PRO
    Western Building Consultants Ltd
    7 years ago

Have you considered an upstand?

• PRO
    Wentworth Kitchens Colchester
    7 years ago

I would suggest a piece of coloured glass (painted on the back) to tie in with any new accessories behind the hob and sink.

• annarocks123
    7 years ago
    Absolutely necessary behind the hob; I made a home made pasta sauce a couple of days ago and my splash back looked like a murder scene by the time I was done. Wipe on, wipe off
  • PRO
    Damian Dowd Kitchens and Furniture
    7 years ago

Most of my clients assume they "need one" I don't believe so, with modern durable washable acrylic wall paints. But of course its a personal choice.

• Lila 1410
    7 years ago

I have tiles, multi-colour though not exactly the design I'd planned. Anyway, better than having plain yellow wall there.

• championcat
    7 years ago
    necessary for me behind the hob, and next to the hob (maybe I'm a messy cook!) but not behind the sink. I have a eindowledge behind my sink and I find it doesnt need wiping down too often
  • Laura Thomas
    7 years ago
    I would say not necessary, however they can can a lovely feature.
    I've had my range fitted for nearly a year whilst my husband completes a kitchen renovation around it, and a splashback hasn't been installed yet. Tomato based pasta sauce has gone up the wall, oil splatters etc. but it has all wiped off, even when it hasn't been noticed immediately.
  • alihun
    7 years ago

Def behind hob but not essential anywhere else tho it does look nice. I've just done a bargain version with white gloss laminated flooring - looks fab and v tough!

• Jason Hill
    7 years ago
    Stainless steel hob splashback and 75mm granite upstands for us.
  • PRO
    Indigo Design
    7 years ago

I have used IKEA's wall panel in stainless steel behind the hob, and high gloss or satin paint on all the rest of the wall, in my last three kitchens, works very well.

• Heidi Cullen
    7 years ago

As others have said, I am in the middle. I don't necessarily think you need a splashback but you do need a heat-resistant area behind your hob. It also needs to be easy to clean. I currently have inherited tiles which are not to my taste. Any ideas on how to cover them? I'm leaning towards glass or thick, coloured perspex right now.

• PRO
    Oceanbay Bathrooms
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Glass is a great idea Heidi however we would always remove tiles before installing, unless of course the tiles are completely flat. Acrylic panels are a work around (can sometimes be more expensive than glass) really not suitable for gas hobs. i.e. Gas = heat. Heat + Plastic = Melted

• Heidi Cullen
    7 years ago

Thanks Oceanbay. I think glass is the way to go then.

• PRO
    jkbuilders
    7 years ago

splash back is a most

• PRO
    Brayer Design
    7 years ago

Definitely necessary. Apart from being practical, they can also be a great feature of your design, like in this luxurious kitchen with a mirror splashback wall:

Chelsea Penthouse Kitchen, Living Area & Bedroom · More Info

• User
    7 years ago

It looks gorgeous - very clean and simple, although a splashback would help detract from plug sockets and keep it clean and simple!

• PRO
    Premier Kitchens & Bedrooms
    7 years ago

100% necessary. We offer glass splashbacks which are not only easy to clean but are perfect for adding colour and a bold statement into your kitchen.

• PRO
    The Gallery
    7 years ago

yes definitely necessary! can add a splash of colour to any kitchen!

• PRO
    Room by Room (Midlands) Ltd
    7 years ago

Definitely necessary but they also add that little extra something. They are a great way to inject colour and easy to replace when you want to give your kitchen a different twist.

• PRO
    AJP Architects Ltd
    7 years ago

I always advise that some form of splashback is needed. Paint can work, provided it is hard wearing and washable... otherwise at minimum 100mm tiles/stone/glass. Behind the cooker, full width and to the height of the extract!

• PRO
    ROOM4STYLE - Inspired Interiors
    7 years ago
    I love splash backs as a design feature and my absolute favourite are mirrored ones. They add an extra dimension to a kitchen and are actually really easy to clean.
    And especially in an open plan kitchen, where one has to stand with the back to the living area, it provides that extra connection, as in the projects below. And for small spaces it adds a substantial feeling of space.
  • PRO
    Hampshire Kitchens
    7 years ago

Adds a lovely splash of colour and very hygenic

• PRO
    The Heritage Tiling Co
    7 years ago

Painted splash backs will lead to tiling eventually !

• lisa77226
    7 years ago
    It depends on how much you use your kitchen I suppose. I enjoy cooking so for me it's necessary.
  • PRO
    LUSSO
    7 years ago

At Lusso Stone we now offer splashbacks/ up-stands to clients with freestanding basins, we think this can help towards protecting paintwork ( if tiles are unavailable ). It seems to be working quite well as the stone resin material up-stand compliments the stone basins whilst making sure paint work stays well away from waster marks.

• Ruth Ellison
    5 years ago

I prefer tiles

• PRO
    My Bespoke Room
    5 years ago

We would say it is necessary behind your hob but often a small up-stand of your worktop is sufficient for the rest of the kitchen.

• E D
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Over two years ago it seemed to be deemed unnecessary, I’m not an expert but I hazard a guess that this is still the case...

Yep, old post. :)

• PRO
    Dual Designs
    5 years ago

An upstand with or without a splashback looks good and from a practical sense too works well. Behind a hob a splashback is definitely necessary ... glass, stainless steel, tiles or stone can all look amazing depending on the style you are trying to create.

• Ribena Drinker
    5 years ago

Why are all these old threads popping up?

• Heather Decoudun
    5 years ago

I have tiles which works well for me but generally a splash back behind a hob or sink is easier to maintain.