erincarlyle

POLL: If you have only one bathroom at home, does it have a tub?

Erin Carlyle
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

My Houzz: Midcentury Modern Style Transforms a Vineyard Bungalow · More Info

If you're in a home with only one bathroom, do you have a bathtub and shower or just a shower? And do you wish you had both — or just one or the other? Vote in the poll and then tell us in the Comments!

Comments (209)

• lsmythe21
    7 years ago

I'm beginning renovations in a couple of weeks to take out the tub and put in a walk-in shower. I realized that I only took, maybe 5 baths a year...

• jdpwoodward .
    7 years ago

We remodeled our main family bath to only a large walk-in shower even though we have a toddler. She loves taking showers. We have a bath tub in our basement bathroom but she rarely (if ever) requests it.

• Related Discussions

need help for design bathroom of size 11'3X6'

Q

Comments (12)
    What would you like in your bathroom? Double sink vanity? Shower only? Shower/Tub combo? Shower and separate tub?
    ...See More

please help...hello i have one sofa set and 2 single bed one tv in liv

Q

Comments (76)
    HI RinaI do agree I love jewelbox rooms, but I consider them more cosy ... and with a grey marble floor it goes all Versace Italianate! I am trying to balance the colours by bringing in a pattern on the covers rather than plain. I feel this will bring colour without overpowering the room. In the pictures I showed above, the rooms are basically neutral but the colour is brought in via pattern - I think this might be the way to go...Ideally a green or blue on a subdued grey would be the best, but I dont know what the market is like for Sumit...Cushions can do a lot to tie in the other white/grey elements.Shelley - navy is a good suggestion, but as Sumits area is quite tall and thin, trying to keep the general area light Any more suggestions most welcome. These are just ideas after all and Sumit will choose what works for the room in the end ;-)
    ...See More

Renovating a tiny( 4'2"x7'8") outdated bathroom.

Q

Comments (53)
    I am so happy to see you here! I will have to go back and see if i can retrieve my posts... thought I would make them into a little book for my daughter, with photos. Quick run-down on the bathroom (not travels, no time) - The kitchen has a rather elegant sliding door with beveled glass panels. Painted white, since this was the original colour. GD's new bathroom has the doors I had picked earlier; i thought of polishing them but decided sprayed automobile paint (on a resin primer) would wear better. Especially since it is such a small bathroom, and she is so splashy. I have this finish in my kitchen and it has lasted 15 years now. A tad chipped here and there, but only needs a wipe down once a week. Same finish for the balcony doors, also split like the bathroom. We have a new wardrobe, a study table with built-in shelves, and a small chest of drawers for her odds and ends. I want to re-tile the tiny balcony, more as a little statement. Currently we are looking at Portuguese tiles, though I did think a mosaic with a funky cat might be nice. Let me see the costing. The room will be painted a neutral adobe, with bright white woodwork and an off-white ceiling. This means she can go wild with cushions and covers. Other changes in the flat; We have changed the glass in the master bedroom and living room from small cramped panes to a single pane for each section with a 1" bevel all round. Doubles the cost of the glass, but looks so elegant! The air-conditioning is being re-located. The compressors were all mounted in the bedroom and living room balconies, which looked terrible and meant the balconies (very narrow, only 30" deep) couldn't be used for anything. Not even plants. So they are being moved so that the compressors can be mounted at the rear of the building. two down, one to go. Now we can put in some nice plants, fishtail palms etc. The kitchen counter on one side came out intact and will be reused elsewhere. I am planning overhead storage, cupboards, and a draining cupboard for plates and glasses. Right now there is no dish washer, though a place is earmarked, but for now I will put in a cupboard with steel racks for cups, glasses and plates, all hidden behind pressed glass doors. This is all in the planning stage.... Pictures in a little while, they are mostly on my ipad and don't transfer well to the mac. They come without numbers... so I have to rename the or something. Somebody tell me how to do this!
    ...See More

Shower enclosure for a small bathroom

Q

Comments (3)
    No. If you really want a shower fixture, make sure there's a drain and a sloping floor (so no glass door or shower pan) and just hang a fixture on a reasonable sized piece of wall. And consider the costs, how long you planned on living there, will you use it for more than spraying plants or washing the dog, etc.
    ...See More
  • Jo Ann Radford
    7 years ago

Yes we have a corner large tub, which is seldom used because our grandkids & nephews have out growen what was once their favorite bubble bath/splash place. We have a corner shower which is perfect for us

• PRO
    by "MAC"
    7 years ago

We finally downsized. Loved the house but !!!!! One bathroom. ... We need a half bath. No tub , a beautiful walk in large shower, fully tiled rain shower, seat w/optional hand held amenities,, efficient and modern.. My one great enjoyment is spending time in it. ,Every-time, someone feels the need to come in. "Hello it is my time". Go away. Go outside.... I remind whomever - WE NEED ANOTHER BATHROOM. Therefore, we are designing one in our basement to be attached to a laundry room and studio.

• bibishboy
    7 years ago

A decision that need considerations on ages of family members, plans on retirement, budget, practicality among others. I recently did a total renovation of our shared bathroom. Am so glad I decided on the glass shower enclosure. There are more important and fun things to do that daily cleaning of a high maintenance bathroom.

• Judy McKibben
    7 years ago

This is a question, but I don't know how to do that on this site. Can someone tell me? My question is this: can you replace the floor tile in a shower without tearing out and replacing the wall tile? Our floor tile is cracked and the grout is grungy, but the wall tile is fine. Does anyone have experience with this?

• User
    7 years ago

Our house in a retirement community had the standard fiberglass shower (with molded seats) in the master bathroom & a fiberglass tub/shower in the guest bathroom when we moved in. The intention was to replace the very worn fixtures with similar ones, however, after a botched job by the contracted plumber we made the decision to have both bathrooms tiled. The master shower contains a fiberglass base on which a free-standing, teak corner seat sits, surrounded by beautiful tile, and a shower curtain. We'd considered adding a bathtub, but that option would have entailed moving the centrally located drain - costing more than we could afford - so this seemed to be our best option. The guest bathroom has greater limitations, due to its compact size. We encountered problems finding a replacement fiberglass tub/shower fixture of an equally narrow size, and decided to do away with the tub - which was rarely used for baths. The right drain of the tub needed to be moved if we went with a traditional central drain shower base - again out of our budget. After many headaches trying to find the right solution, we went with the option of a custom built tiled shower base (and tiled walls). The base slopes gently from the left to the right, leaving the right seated drain area intact. We have no problems at all with drainage of the shower water. What we do have a problem with is water from the shower splashing over the 4 inch high tiled curb, because the shower floor is closer to the curb at the drain end. We opted not to have a glass shower door installed, because we were told there would be sufficient depth to prevent water splash. Now we are left with the dilemma of how to correct the problem, and it's looking as though adding a glass shower door is our only option - something we'd wanted to avoid doing since we're seniors! Would we make these same decisions if we had the chance for a "do-over"? No!!! Despite the fact that I now have a back condition, and admittedly find it much easier to walk into a shower than step over the edge of a tub, I'm wishing we had left the original tub/shower in place, with the hope that we could find a similar replacement ....... even if it took a couple of years. We have beautifully tiled shower enclosures in both bathrooms, which unfortunately have now placed restrictions on what we can do to change these areas. I can't even begin to imagine how the lower section of tile could be removed without compromising the rest of the tile up the walls! I would advise anyone who is contemplating a bathroom redo not to focus so much on the finished appearance, but also to take into serious consideration the practicality of the fixtures - especially as preferences & needs change over the years.

• barbdillon
    7 years ago

We just remodeled our only bathroom on main floor of small 1970's bungalow which had a tub/shower combo. (Have a small bathroom in basement with shower stall) We pondered this same question as we are both 55+. I wanted a lipless shower with 1/2 glass wall on hinges. My husband wanted a tub. We got quotes from 3 contractors who all said the same thing. Do not discard the tub. They said, "large showers tend to be cold and draughty and tubs are kid friendly". We gutted the room, but left the same foot print. I love my new soaker tub. We have large white/grey marble look tile on tub wall, and floor, marble look counter, black high gloss cabinets, white toilet, sink and tub. With the soft grey-toned white walls and entire wall of mirrored cabinets over counter, this Zen room makes me so happy!

• User
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

@judymckib There are websites that tell you how to either tile over an existing shower floor or to change out the floor to a new one. Since you really don't know what you are doing, I highly suggest to hire a well known plumber who has done this many times.

To give you an idea of what's involved, here is a LINK to putting tile over the existing tile. And here is a LINK to totally replacing tiled shower floor without touching the walls. At least this will help you know what's involved when you search for a good plumber.

And to keep your shower clean, here's 3 LINKS on how to do that without chemicals. I cannot use chemical grout cleaners, but these suggestions do work if you keep up on the grunge. I clean my shower thoroughly twice a month and it stays nice. Basically I do old school - baking soda paste and vinegar. It's cheap and it works.

• Judy McKibben
    7 years ago

A huge thank you to Celestina89! All kinds of good information. I had spoken with a tile company, and had been told that they couldn't install a new floor without removing the wall tiles. I think I'll talk to another company, to see if I get a better answer. Thank you again.

• User
    7 years ago

Tile companies know tile, not plumbing. Of course, they have to remove tile - more sales! LOL Talk to a plumbing company and do ask for referrals as well as how often do they replace shower floors and not the walls. I think you get the idea. Keep at it.

• saywhatyousay
    7 years ago

I love a tub but increasingly they are disappearing. Every time I check into a hotel these days it is harder and harder to find a room with a tub. Crazy.

• Bruno St-Pierre
    7 years ago
    If you have young children or grandchildren, you will need a tub. Once grown-up, just a shower would be fine. You decision may affect your resale value.
  • Jo Ann Radford
    7 years ago

We have a large corner tub & corner shower, the tub has not been used since grandkids were little.

• brecarroll
    7 years ago

No brainer!! Not only for bathing children but also for some kinds of medical issues a tub may be your only relief from pain.

• Craig Coelho
    7 years ago

Having downsized to a 3/1 with a tub/shower combo that was an eyesore, with a terrible footprint, I tore it out and cannibalizing a linen closet & part of a spare bedroom closet to create a large(ish) walk-in shower, and turned a 3 bed into 2 splitting another bedroom between the master & living room. Now, the house is perfect for this single retiree.

• Judy McKibben
    7 years ago

I wrote a question last week, and got a very helpful response--not to this debate, though. Does anyone else have experience replacing floor tiles in a shower without replacing the wall tiles? If so, how did it go? Thank you!

• Nancy in Mich
    7 years ago

Judymckib, you can write your own "Design Dilemma" by going up to the top of the page and clicking on "Stories and Advice". Then click on "Design Dilemma" Under "Houzz Discussions." Write out what your problem is in detail and see what kind of responses you get.

Or you can go to "Stories and Advice" and scroll down to "Gardenweb Discussions" and scroll down to "Home Forums" and click. You will get a list of many, many forum topics. You should click on "Bathrooms." You are now in the Bathrooms forum of the Garden Web, an very friendly place and if you 1. search the threads that are already there (top of page) for "replacing shower floor" and read what others have already said, then have that background knowledge to use to ask a knowledgeable question, and 2. give lots of details, people will help you!

• klolo
    7 years ago

Absolutely! I cannot do without my relaxing soaks and bubble baths! And when I have kids I'm sure they'll love it too.

• PRO
    Pachota
    7 years ago

We remodeled our only bathroom 10 years ago. removed the tub in favor of a 36" x 60" shower. I do not regret doing this for a minute. As far as having a tub for little ones, Grand daughter had her bath in a baby tub placed in the shower. Worked out very well for us.

• User
    7 years ago

I love walk in showers, and we have two. However, I HAVE to have a tub. Best way to get garden grime and skin off, plus it relaxes the muscles far more than a shower.

• M J
    7 years ago
    Just a shower. We used our tub only 5 times the entire time we lived in our last house. We decided to not have one in our new house. Besides...who has time for baths these days?
  • bettyann50
    7 years ago

I would not buy a house that did not have a tub. Must be able to soak away the issues of the day! Just love it.

• hjv458
    7 years ago

I absolutely hate baths. I have two bathrooms and after 15 years of having a bathroom that I rarely used (and the bath once) I finally took it out and have showers only. With older visitors I now have a bathroom that they can safely use and children are quite capable of using a shower. I am not worried about resale. It is my home and I want to make it as comfortable for me, not some unknown family of the future - who if they so desperately want a bath can remodel the bathroom to their own liking.

• joanwetmore
    7 years ago

My point about keeping at least one tub if resale is important, came from working with many buyers who couldn't believe that they could change something that seems so permanent. They will not buy a house that doesn't have a tub.

You may want to change back when you put your house on the market.

• Anne Senechal
    7 years ago

I have a small bathroom (80 " x 66"). When I renovated, I replaced the bathtub with large glassed-in walk-in shower, but kept the footprint of the bathtub faucets. Practical and easy to fill water pails, and when I sell my house, I can tell the new owner to simply cut the bottom tiles and slide in a new bathtub (kept some extra tiles for touch ups). There is an adjustable telephone shower head, so if they have kids, they can show them how to take a shower, right from the get-go....

• jmmcv
    7 years ago

I have both, but could quite easily live with a shower only - although I admit I would miss a long, hot bath on those freezing winter days. When renovating I contemplated removing the (cast iron) tub in order to use the space to create a small half-bath. I gave greater weight to keeping the tub for re-sale purposes, gauging that my house/neighbourhood would likely appeal to a young family who had, or was contemplating, a child.

• jeezlouise7
    7 years ago

I answered this poll but did not read the question properly. I answered that yes, we have a tub/shower combo, however we have three bathrooms. One bathroom is our ensuite with the tub/shower combo, one bathroom is ensuite to the guest bedroom. This one has a small shower, sink and toilet. These two are located upstairs. The third bathroom is a laundryroom/bathroom combo and has a large shower as well as a laundry sink and toilet and is located on the first floor of a three floor split house. My issue is that our master ensuite is outdated and I would love to remove the tub/shower and replace with a large walk-in glass shower. The problem then is that there would not be a tub in the house. This is fine for us, but resale value, I'm not sure. Anyone have any thoughts to add to this issue of mine?

• Carole McMahon
    7 years ago

When we renovated this old house, we considered taking out the old cast iron tub, as my husband and I prefer showers. I's so glad we didn't. We just had the old tub re-finished for a clean,new look. The tub is essential whenever our grandchildren visit.

• jeezlouise7
    7 years ago

I know what you mean. Most young families must have a tub. I know we did in our day! However, with that said, our four year old grandson prefers to shower! :)

• Jill Sellers
    7 years ago

Love Love love a tub, would rather have tub and handheld shower than a huge spa shower and no tub!

• User
    7 years ago

jeezlouise7 You have space for a future owner to add a tub if he/she/they wish it so. My opinion is that if you plan on living in your house for a good number of years, then it's your house so if you dislike tubs, remove it and do a shower. If you think you'll sell within a few years, then keep the tub/shower or just do a large shower in the master and do a tub/shower elsewhere. It's your money and your house.

I have one bath. I have one large ADA shower and a separate tub. So, it's no problem if I ever get to the point of not being able to use a tub.

My former house had 2 baths; both with tub/shower combo. The guest bath was so large there was total wasted space. The master bath was so small you couldn't open up the vanity under the sink cause it hit the toilet. And when you sat on the toilet, you couldn't stretch your legs out 'cause you'd hit the tub/shower. The tub was like 4 and half feet - small size. I took it out and converted into a nice shower taking room from the guest bath and also made room for the toilet so one could use the vanity. Kept the shower tub in the guest bath. Lived there for 18 years before I sold it to peeps who loved the set up. She liked soaking tubs, he liked showers. Worked out fine. LOL

• Janet Luff
    7 years ago
    We recently sold a home with 3 bathrooms. 2 with tub shower, and the master had separate shower and jetted tub ( which I hated trying to keep the jets clean). We moved into our lake small "get away", which has a bath with only a shower, and a half bath, and an outdoor shower too. We are now building a house on the property, and will have 2 more bathrooms in that. One will have a large shower, but I miss having a tub, so one will have a tub with no shower, but a handheld shower faucet. I've also had the window over the tub made so I will have a view while soaking. People who come to visit may not like this setup, because it seems more take showers. But they can use the cabin's instead, outside or inside. We are building this as our home, and what we like. And I love a deep tub, and found one the size for a not large bathroom, and it didn't brake the bank. Some of the freestanding tubs with fillers were too much...for me. I like a tub, like having choices, and more than one bathroom, but we don't live in the bathroom.
  • Cheryl Biermann
    7 years ago

My son's house is like this. One bath with shower toilet and sink crammed in a teeny space. I wish he made enough money so that he could at least put the sink/toilet seperate from the bathing area. There is a linen that could be used right next to it, but that would include moving the toilet, (which honest, is a mere inch from the edge of the bathtub/shower and the sink which is about 6 inches from the toilet over three or four feet into the linen closet, or moving only the toilet to the closet but redoing walls and electric plus pluming.

• Nancy in Mich
    7 years ago

Cheryl Biermann, it sounds as though space is at a premium at your son's home, and even if he did sacrifice the linen closet, he would simply be making the space more comfortable, even without adding walls to make a water closet. Adding the walls would make it cramped again. Also, where do the contents of the linen closet go?

I have learned through my renovations and drawings that sometimes a house is just not meant to have some upgrades. Upgrading my kitchen to one with a huge island with a cooktop and seating for our extended family means no room for a dining table in our house. We don't mind this, but it is one more oddity to explain when we sell.

• Sheldon
    7 years ago
    One bathroom.. hoping to remodel it possibly to just have the shower stall no tub.... not sure of resale value with that
  • User
    7 years ago

We have 2 bathrooms----1 with shower and bath, this bath is seldom ever used and we have a spa bath and shower in the the master bedroom. We have been in the house 17 years and have used the spa possibly 5 times sadly. Water is so very expensive in Brisbane Australia hence we don't waste water if we can help it.

• piepiespy
    6 years ago

Currently 1 bathroom with tub/shower combo in tiny 1040 sq. ft house. Plan to renovate -- am thinking of just shower. No kids, worry about tripping - and have only taken shower for years.

• Shar Banks
    6 years ago

I'm rather late to this discussion but here are my 2¢ anyway.

I decided three years ago to remove the slick tub that I only used as a bath about once a year. I now have a rather gritty-surfaced base for a nice-sized shower with frosted glass doors. It's my mini-spa and I love it. No worries over slipping in the shower -- ever!

I live in a one-bedroom condo with one bathroom. It's really not a suitable apartment for babies, so it shouldn't affect resale value, possibly might add to it.

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    5 years ago

Would definitely want a separate tub and shower if I lived in a one bath home!

• User
    5 years ago

The house we moved into had a very small bathroom and it had a tub but you could barely moved in there so we had it removed and had a shower stall installed so we now have a little more room to move in.

• lsmythe21
    5 years ago

I renovated my only bathroom and removed the tub and put in a lovely walk-in shower...I'm not concerned with resale. When I sell, if they want a tub, those peeps will renovate like I did, to make it thieir own!

• Christine Botti
    3 years ago

Why do people want to soak in their dirty tub water?🤷‍♀️ I have a hot tub that can be used if they want to soak and really relax,then jump into the shower !!!I 😊

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    3 years ago

I'm going with bathtub/shower combination if there is only one bathroom. I would think you would need the flexibility especially if there are any younger children in the house.

• rjm4261
    last year

I'm about to buy a house with one bathroom and having the tub removed for a walk in shower. I'm not going to cater to future residents and me be put out. I hate having to climb in a tub to shower.

• PRO
    by "MAC"
    last year
    last modified: last year

When I design a 'home' it needs to be for the homeowner. Not for a future buyer. there is an exception to the rule. Many times a person buys for speculation. Then and only then you buy with the future homeowner on mind. In todays market buyers are focused on longterm ownership. With a one bathroom, and no tub. do as you please. The next homeowner can put in a soaking tub. It is their choice. You live their. It is what YOU want. Enjoy your HOME and walk into your shower. If you want to soak. Buy a Jacuzzi.

• hbeing
    last year

i'm a tubber, so a house w/o one is a deal-killer.

• Momof5x
    last year

We have more than one bathtub in the house but they also have handheld showers in them that can be on the wall or removed.

• S C
    last year

I have a tub/ shower combo in my one bathroom with the bath never being used. I plan on aging in my home but have bent to the opinion of resale value. I’m hesitating but I really want a shower only. 🙄

• Janet Kofoed
    last year

We're aging in our home and put in a shower. If the next owners want a tub, they can put one in. I'd rather have safety while i'm here.