nandini_ravi39

Need Urgent Help - Door type for Narrow Reachin /Walkin Closet ?

Nan R
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I have a reachin closet set up inside a narrow walk-in space of dimensions of 6 ft x 4 ft 6" in.

My closet's dimensions are 6 ft Width x 2 ft Depth x 7 ft height. This leaves 2 ft 6" of walk space in front of the closet doors.

The entry point to the space is along one of the 4 ft 6" sides. The closet boundary is defined by walls on all sides, except for entry point.

My questions are

1. I currently plan to have 4 hinged doors/swing doors for the reachin closet - each door of 1 ft 6" width. Will the 2 ft 6" space in front of the closet be sufficient from usability perspective ? I have a total of 4 drawers (2 ft depth) in the closet.
  2. Alternative to hinged doors are sliding doors. But the cost is a bit more and this will be a rental property, wherein maintenance issues may crop up. Hence I am leaning towards hinged doors unless usability in option#1 is a major red flag.

What do you think is the best way to go about it ?

Comments (5)

• PRO
    Debbie Mauro @ Closet Factory (Colorado)
    7 years ago

I have more questions for you before I could answer...What is the room with the closet used for? And it sounds like when you stated it was 6', that included the depth of the closet thus the 2'6" space after doors. Is that correct? So really the room is only 4' deep?

I'm guessing but it sounds like you remodeled and took space from this bedroom for another room (master bath/bed expansion, kitchen expansion?) and now you're left with a very small room with a reach in closet. If that's the case, I would probably use the whole room as a storage room/closet and then you may not need doors on the reach in at all. If that's not the case, maybe you could attach some pictures and how you plan to use the space and I can help further.

Nan R thanked Debbie Mauro @ Closet Factory (Colorado)
  • acm
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

If by "hinged doors" you mean "bifold," then I suspect that's the best solution for what you describe. You might want to narrow the opening a bit (it's easy to reach to right or left of the doors if there is rod over there) so that you can use 15" panels rather than 18" panels, just to make things feel less tight. Agree with Debbie, though, that this seems like a small room -- if it's a hallway, then you're ok, but if it's supposed to be an actual room, you might be better off making a walk-in closet.

Nan R thanked acm
  • Nan R
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Debbie, acm - Thank you very much for responding.

This is a new apartment and not a remodel. I have attached the floor plan of the room & closet. In the photo below the closet is the space "DRESS" and having dimensions 5 ft 11" (X axis) x 4 ft 7" (Y axis).

For representational purposes, the diagram shows an L shaped closet. Ignore that - this is a complete blank space. I am instead planning on putting the closet along the 5 ft 11" wall- but on the opposite side instead of the side shown in the diagram. So imagine my closet along a single wall, set against the wall marked with a thick dark line.

acm - I did not mean a bi-fold. But rather the traditional shutter door which some may refer as a swing shutter.

My dilemma is - should i use sliding doors or regular doors ? I divided my closet into 4 major compartments, each 1 ft 6" wide. So there are a total of 4 doors. Depth of closet is 2 ft. Hence walkthru space is 2 ft 6". When a closet door is open, there wld be 1 ft space between the open door & the wall. Within each of these 4 compartments, I have designed multiple external drawers upto 2 ft height from base. So the shutters/doors planned only for the portion above 2 ft.

Sliding Doors -

Pros - Swing space not needed. Can place a slim dresser in the corner if I want to later.

Cons - Expensive as it will needlessly cover the bottom-most drawers; Sliding doors coming off rails.

Regular Doors

Pros - Inexpensive. Can be used to cover only the part above the drawers (need not cover drawers). This way I can open the drawers below quickly & easily.

Cons - Not sure if 2 ft 6" is enough clearance space to open 18" doors.

Hope this makes sense. What do you suggest?

• PRO
    Debbie Mauro @ Closet Factory (Colorado)
    7 years ago

That pic is very helpful. I know you asked these questions because you're looking for advice so... here goes.

I truly think that what you're attempting to do is going to waste space. If putting on doors is very important to you, I would put up some sliding doors at the end of the closet that opens to the desks.putting doors over units in that small of a space really eats up the space that you could be using for more storage. I would put hanging on the wall at the bottom of the picture from the far left all the way out to where the sliding doors would stack. Then I would put shelving unit or a drawer bank with shelves above on the connecting wall. There's really not enough space in the area to build on both sides of the room using the 2 long walls because then you wouldn't have enough room to walk through.

So in a nutshell, my advice is to ditch the doors on the units and if you want it closed off, add them to the open end of the space. Good luck!

• Nan R
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks Debbie. Your response has been helpful - I think i will go with the sliding unit. thanks :)