gem_cap

Laminates Vs Polyurethane paint for cabinets?

Gemcap
7 years ago

Classic head Vs heart query.

We have to choose between laminate (Cream with slight
texture) or Polyurethene paint (Cream / Matt finish) for our plywood kitchen cabinets.

Our kitchen is open plan and the overall look
is modern / industrial/ seamless. E.g I have continued the large format 4X2 floor tiles onto
the backsplash.

Laminates wear better but I really dislike the thin black
edging which even the best laminates show. Using edging is not an option – in
any case, they cannot be used on the 90 degree angle on the vertical sides of
the cabinets where the edging will show.

I love the seamless sleek look that PU gives, but have read
that PU paint scratches and chips easily. From a pricing angle, PU (paint and
application inclusive) is approx. 3 times as expensive as the laminate

There are no young children in our house but it is a heavily
used kitchen and I cook a lot in in cast iron cookware.

I would truly appreciate your thoughts and experiences on laminate Vs PU. Do
you regret using either and would choose another option if you had to choose
again?

Many thanks

Comments (7)

• Gemcap
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Just to add: the KD has cautioned us that changing one to another is not an easy task and will require changing all the cabinets doors so whichever I choowe is at least a medium term choice to live with. Thanks

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    7 years ago

Cream is your only choice?

• Gemcap
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Yes - or light beige. Using a darker colour laminate would have vxisually resolved the "thin black line " problem but I am not going in for dark coloured cabinets.

• herbflavor
    7 years ago

can't grasp why you are down to only two options in the white cabinet family of options and one is three times the price of the other..... you probably have other options not in the mix if your price points are so far apart.Paint on Mdf doors ...thermofoil .....very light bleached oak veneer.....etc. of the two you mention I'd do polyurethane paint....but can't get why you are paying out for painted plywood like that. I just painted a door and used Glidden acrylic latex ...it was fabulous in its application and is a HIGHLY used entry and not one smudge/mark/knick etc. ..it looks like a factory finish-3 coats of course with prep and priming. Good luck with your project.

• Kavitha Viswas
    3 years ago

I'm at the same crossroads as you were - may I check what (laminate or PU) did you choose and any lessons learnt that you can pass on? Thanks

• PRO
    Cornerstone Design Studio India
    3 years ago

Kavitha, PU is a reasonably good option if it's oK on budget front.

For all practical reasons laminates should not be compared with PU finish they are different on all parameters.

Thanks,
    Nitin
    Cornerstone Designs Bangalore.

Sponsored