tjdayhouse

How to position light when table isn't centered in the room?

tjdayhouse
7 years ago

Dining room is 16.5ft x 11.5 ft with a bay window. I have long dining table when leaves are in place and they always are when I use the table (I would also like to keep leaves in place when not in use if it looks ok in the room). However, to use the leaves I need to use the bay window space. At this time the light is centered in the room and when I use the table with leaves the light isn't centered and even as it is w/o leaves, it doesn't fit centered under the light due to a buffet (and removing the china and buffet isn't an option, so I need to work with them). Do I move the light so it is centered length of the room, but over the table ( in this picture is would be moving the light toward the window a good 15-18")? But it would be off center from the foyer entry (where I am taking the pic), would that look strange? The China Cabinet is centered on the long wall now, do I move it (toward the window) to be centered with table and light or keep it centered on wall and foyer entry opening?

Also note that I am trying to update this space. This room is 10 years old and I am trying to update it, brighten it up and make it not so formal looking, while keeping the the traditional furniture as is ( I realize it's not the "in thing", but was a gift and must be used and not painted). I'll take any suggestions on this matter too.

Comments (29)