richard_sanderson46

How can I make this beautiful?

Any ideas on how to transform this dormer bungalow?

Comments (28)

• Lynn Robbo
    7 years ago
    What's wrong with it ? Only needs a few plants maybe few hanging baskets X
    Richard Sanderson thanked Lynn Robbo
  • PRO
    Oasys Property Solutions
    7 years ago

Richard,

I think the simple form offers many opportunities, whether you wish to extend or simply use the existing footprint. I'd suggest replacing the windows re-rendering (perhaps adding external wall insulation) and replacing the external pipework would be a start. Also perhaps introduce rooflights in the roof to flood the internal spaces with light. Any extension could echo the profile of the side elevation but at a differing scale. This is all fairly high-level, and floorpans of the property and understanding your requirements would influence the design.

Regards, Simon

Richard Sanderson thanked Oasys Property Solutions
  • dynamo91
    7 years ago

I would change the black panelling to white. Can it be painted?

Apart from that it looks lovely to me.

Are you wanting to extend?

Richard Sanderson thanked dynamo91
  • tamp75
    7 years ago
    Changing the roof tiles to slate would make a big difference. The roof dominates the bungalow at the moment and those tiles don't help. We did the same to ours & it made a huge difference.
    Richard Sanderson thanked tamp75
  • Kittihawke
    7 years ago
    I second changing the black panelling to a lighter colour, that may be all it needs
    Richard Sanderson thanked Kittihawke
  • Jonathan
    7 years ago
    This looks like a picture taken from the back garden. It occurs to me that there is no obvious route to the garden and no where to sit when you are outside.
    Could you replace and of the windows with doors?
    I also echo the earlier point about windows to breakup the roof.
    Richard Sanderson thanked Jonathan
  • PRO
    STUDIO PARKOAR
    7 years ago

It looks rather abandoned within a sea of grass......perhaps open internal spaces to the garden and use external features to link inside and outside...The materials are fine, I would spend time on the spaces etc

Richard Sanderson thanked STUDIO PARKOAR
  • dunleas
    7 years ago
    Search Egon Walesch and cabin in the wood Ireland on Houzz- stunning transformation.
    Richard Sanderson thanked dunleas
  • Grem U
    7 years ago

I note that a few people are suggesting a change of roof. Please be very careful - a friend years ago had his house re-roofed and the walls started to bow before it was even finished. Walls and roofs are designed to work with each other, from a construction perspective. If you do decide to change the roof I would advise you seek the expertise of a structural engineer first.

As for the rest of the property - just a little landscaping would improve it no end. Where abouts is the property?

• bondgirlz99
    7 years ago
    A verandah, reasonably deep and usable with lots of lovely climbers would transform it.
  • PRO
    OJQ Architecture
    7 years ago

Hi Richard

With this simple form the dwelling needs put back in proportion, the Gable width is very wide which leads to a very 'Top Heavy' structure with a small wall to roof ratio.

To draw your eye away from this 'top heavy' construction an Extension would be needed to elongate and break up the solid mass.This will be sure to put this dwelling on the road to elegance.

Previous comments on landscaping also very relevant and would help immensely.

• terinahammond
    7 years ago

Contrary to others I love the black and white contrast and would landscape around it to highlight it with a monochrome scheme. Maybe white porcelain tiled patio area with black rattan furniture and a black pergola planted with lots of green and white foliage/flowers.If possible it would be nice to change the left hand window to doors so that the garden can be accessed from this elevation.

• PRO
    Weightman & Bullen
    7 years ago

Hi Richard,

There are various ways to transform the property. From the photograph, the property is fairly modern & set within extensive grounds, so presumably there will not be any planning or rights-of-light issues with any alterations/extension proposed. The design of the extension/alteration will depend on the existing layout of the property, the structural elements including the roof, and most importantly your use/aspirations for the interior spaces. The roof is a dominant feature and this can be further enhanced with the introduction of large dormer windows, not only to create more internal space to the upper floor but to provide light into & views from the first floor. Depending on the internal re-arrangement of spaces to the ground floor, large sliding doors leading to the outside space will also enhance the exterior appearance & provide a completely new "open" atmosphere within the ground floor, which will not only lead you out into your new beautifully landscaped garden but will bring your garden into your living space.

Good luck & have fun exploring your property's potential.

Pearl

• PRO
    Prime Living
    7 years ago

I agree with Pearl's comments above, looks very top-heavy with such a dominant roof. I'd open it up and flood the upstairs with light, and similarly at ground floor put a run of bi-folds to the garden. Depending on upstairs configuration you could also change one of those gable windows to French doors and a Juliet balcony. With the house looking so top-heavy, you could put quite a nice/contemporary pergola along the back and side of the house, which with some clever planting could really transform the place within a couple of summers (and you get the pleasure of seeing it all happen!), good luck.

• Juliet Docherty
    7 years ago

I think that black and brick looks quite edgy and works well, if the cladding were white it would jar and look a bit cheap, maybe? Personally I would replace the windows with more contemporary ones in a dark colour and put in full length ones at the back. I would render parts of it to break up the tones and splurge on some radical modernist landscaping.

• PRO
    Love Your Home
    7 years ago

If budget allowed, I would personally change the panelling to vertical all round (similar look to the photo) and this would work beautifully with the existing gable end window detail which I love. I would then paint the panels (chalk white?) too along with jet washing the existing roof tiles to make them cleaner/brighter. The big plus, it will optically lift the dominant roof line resulting in a beautifully refreshed property.

• essexa
    7 years ago

Demolish and start again....

• louisecampbell09
    7 years ago
    I would get a company in to professionally paint the roof tiles slate grey..apart from that it's super cute ☺
  • Sue Kelly
    7 years ago
    I would have a white rendor it would look fresh and bright it's lovely btw
  • ajplatt75
    7 years ago
    This is a refurbished bungalow near where I lived. Clad in a washed weatherboard, new windows and looks great.
  • Karin Madgwick
    7 years ago
    I would render the house white and clean and colour the roof black. Then attack the garden with lots of green hedges. The flowering plants I would keep to two colours, white and lavender. The effect would be very dramatic !
  • PRO
    Design Storey
    7 years ago

The roof is really the largest surface on this house - it dominates the form of the house. I would take on board some of the comments above regarding updating the render and windows but would also give consideration to updating the roof material. A natural slate roof would help make the building belong more to it's surroundings. I would also consider adding rooflights too. However the most important thing is to be consistent; come up with a simple material palette and colour scheme and stick to it. This will really make the simplicity of your house make a statement. Don't be tempted to use too many materials and techniques as this will detract from the purity of the form.

• PRO
    STUDIO PARKOAR
    7 years ago

Perhaps an alternative way of looking at the problem is to think of the garden and house as one space rather than a house in a garden .

The house can become become.a.pivotal space from which use of the garden is informed.

how great it would be to have an almost seamless visual and physical transition betwen inside and outside spaces ...maybe think of it as a feature of the landscape ...

• PRO
    Frank & Faber
    7 years ago

Lick of paint... what a lovely big garden!

• alyper
    7 years ago

Would be inclined to paint the boarding - how about Scandi dark red, or perhaps a bkue/grey. Take away the small pots on the terrace, and widen the terrace to at least double and furnish it with more benches. Is it possible to change one or more of the windows to French doors?

• christineacy
    7 years ago

Hello Richard. It all depends on your budget, style of exterior you like, is the front facing south or north, east or west and the colour schemes and textures... All these will make a different to how you feel about the building and what design to go with. If you have just moved in I would recommend living in it a while to get to know it. Observe it during the day and night. Where there is lots of light you want a veranda or conservatory and then in the garden the fruit trees / shubs. If you use just white it can be very stark and will reflect light so that you will end up permanently wearing sunglasses. If in the north you need some white and or colour and possible more light in the area and adjacent interior room so possibly make the windows bigger. (which is great if you are not overlooked). Do you have a favourite thing, ornament, plant, place, memory of trips that you can base your look on ? Look around to see what other people have done. Some councils may state that you have to keep the from in keeping with the rest of the street you are in, especially if you are in a conservation area. We are so spoilt for choice these days and there are many interesting ideas on Houzz and over sources. Most of all take your time and enjoy finding those ideas as all the changes will eat into even the largest of budgets and are expensive to change. Have fun.

• PRO
    Mark Lane Designs
    6 years ago

if you ever need a garden designer to make a beautiful space outdoors then please do not hesitate to get in touch.