ccappel

Need help with where to place the TV.

ccappel
11 years ago
We just bought this house and are converting to a more open floor plan with pretty traditional decorating. The dry walls on either side of the brick wall will be minimized. The center of the room is the center of the current brick wall. I would like to keep the fireplace and the hearth. Should we drywall the rest of the wall other than the fireplace and center TV? Help??

Comments (49)

• butterfly123
    11 years ago
    I would do built ins on either side of the fireplace. Mount the TV to the right of the fireplace with builds surrounding it. Do it white.
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    11 years ago
    Personally I wouldn't drywall over the bricks. Do you have more photos of the rest of the room ?
  • Related Discussions

need help placing a mandir

Q

Comments (4)
    Thanks...but it would be weird to have a mandir behind the sofa. Also the width of the living area is 15'. We want to give provision for a 46" tv on the bottom left wall. So, if the sofa were to be moved forward ( by say 3' which enables a person to sit in front and pray), the viewing distance would be insufficient.
    ...See More

Need help - Where to place the wardrobe ?

Q

Comments (0)
    Hi - Outlined below is the floor plan of my master bedroom. I need help with deciding which would be the best place for placing the wardrobe. Looking forward to feedback. I am trying to decide based on which option will allow for 1. Most efficient storage per sq ft. 2. Placing a dressing table either by the bed or bathroom (bathroom is the smaller door in the picture). 3. Placing a study desk. Ideally I would like to place it along natural light. In this case, the corner window space. Alternatively, as in case of option 1, I can place a study desk / dressing table in the corner by the door, along the 3 ft 7" wall. 4. making the room feel less cluttered. Option1 : Create an L-shaped wardrobe as seen in the picture below. Option 2: Create 2 separate wardrobes on either side of the door - i.e along the 5 ft 7" wall and another across the bedroom door, along the 3 ft 7" as shown below. The layout appears to be different because it has been visualized from a different direction. But the room dimensions and the bed and tv locations remain the same.
    ...See More

Need help with TV unit design

Q

Comments (8)
    Thanks, for the reply. Yes, I am hoping to feature the mdf on the wall. I am not sure like which one to choose and how to make it look better. I want to make use of the entire wall with cabinets. But, I am open to other options also. There is also a pillar next to the wall on the left side. I also want to make use of the space between pillar and wall (like glass cabinets). Needs your inputs, if you can share some images, that will be great.
    ...See More

Suggest where to place sofas and TV unit

Q

Comments (3)
    This is just a presentation drawing to give you the idea for the T.V. unit to place as a divider between two sections. If you want a complete presentation send complete detail measurements of wall, windows , doors, etc.
    ...See More
  • PRO
    CMR Interiors & Design Consultations Inc.
    11 years ago
    Is the fireplace wood burning? I'd put in a niche in the brick so you can have firewood storage that looks nice . You have to get rid of the awful brass and black doors...get a matte black door that is modern with no decoration-just simple and clean. No vents on it either.
  • Ann Crane
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    You might consider whitewashing the brick to blend with the built-ins on either side.
  • PRO
    Sarah Bernardy Design, LLC
    11 years ago
    From the one picture I would suggest doing the TV on the right side in a built-in cabinet. Without knowing how the rest of the space flows (more pictures would be helpful) I'm not certain I would suggest doing a built-in on the right. All depends on how symetrical you like to be in your life as asymetrical spaces do bother some people. Don't cover the bricks or paint over, but do look at replacing the glass face with a ventless face which will make the box feel larger and current.
  • PRO
    JWinteriors
    11 years ago
    I am a fan of mounting TV's on top of fireplaces. It allows for ease of furniture placement with one focal point. I would run a large white mantel like photo one from end to end. I would replace crown with a larger profile. TV would be centered with the firebox. Accessories on left of TV. Wood stocked on floor in niche. Built in cabinetry in white on either side. If you are not a fan of placing it above mantel, picture number 2 shows another mantel option with the TV going into the built in on right.
  • Kym C.
    11 years ago
    What's on the other side of that wall?
  • Keitha
    11 years ago
    To me the hearth is throwing the entire fireplace off. If you could come up with a way to extend the hearth the entire width of the bricked area it would help to bring balance to the space.
  • PRO
    JWinteriors
    11 years ago
    One more option.. Install floor to ceiling bookshelf in niche area. This takes away the awkwardness of the cut out. Taper back to your next built in. Add built ins to the right and run a mantel in between. If you want to cut down on brick, add wood panels above mantel. Run a crown around the entire top. Spray your doors using fireplace black matte paint.
  • mmilos
    11 years ago
    I think I would buy a console that fits in the space next to your raised hearth and put a TV on top of it.
  • Kathleen Amatangelo
    11 years ago
    More information needed to really help. I would consider extending the raised hearth to the end of the wall. You do not need the hearth to be of the same brick. But the top (sitting part) needs to be the same all the way across. The bottom could be covered with drywall. The fireplace appears to be the focal point of the room, and often a tv becomes a focal point today. If you can mount the tv above the fire place that would be ideal. Take note that the eyeball lights in the ceiling are not centered above the fireplace.
  • hww qqq
    11 years ago
    恩 啊
  • Lkristine
    11 years ago
    Consider something like this, it's your own room enhanced.
  • PRO
    Jilson Modern Home Staging
    11 years ago
    From personal experience, mounting the TV above the fireplace(which seems like an excellent idea, we even installed the wiring in the wall) is not ergonomic. Your couch is much lower than the top of the fireplace and it ends up creating neck strain. Plus, you are even lower when you curl up and lie down.

There is nothing wrong with having two focal points in the room. Love to see the entire layout.

I agree with CMR Interiors regarding a solid matte black modern fireplace doors. A niche for firewood on the left wood(JK would) balance out the wall. However actually cutting brick after it is built sounds impossible or expensive. Purchasing a taller firewood stand to place front of that left nook area could have a similar effect.
  • PRO
    JWinteriors
    11 years ago
    One last fun idea...do the bookcase and then the deeper cabinet next to it on the left. Duplicate that same look on the right. You will have room for a secret compartment behind the bookcase as it will only be as deep as the one on the left. The wall can swing outwards or roll to the side. You can store a safe, gun collection, etc.
  • goatchookgoober
    11 years ago
    I agree, the hearth needs to be extended the whole length of the brick wall. You need to get rid of the gold. A niche for storing firewood next to the fireplace would balance the wall. A shelf over the top of the fireplace or two shelves approximately 2/3 of the length, one starting at each end would also look good. I also would not put the tv on the brick wall.
  • Bill
    11 years ago
    NO TO PUTTING THE TV OVER THE FIREPLACE. It's very hard on the neck to watch a TV when it's placed that high. DO NOT PUT THE TV THERE. Yes, all caps for shouting. It's just a HORRIBLE place to put a TV unless the only way you'll ever watch it is from a standing position all the way across the other side of the room. Just don't.

Why is the chimney wall so wide? Is there another unit on the back side of it? Or is there a chimney in there from down in the basement? Because if it's just decorative then consider making the fireplace narrower and clad it in a different material. But you'd want to know what's IN that side of the hearth before removing anything.

Likewise, that hulking brick hearth, I'd think about removing it and replacing it with wood trim underneath and a stone slab as the hearth surface. It'll look much less imposing that way.

Don't just lipstick on the pig, look into removing some/all of the brick and go for a better look.
  • Linda
    11 years ago
    A few thoughts came to mind as I studied your picture.
    first, I would not place the TV on the hearth - leave the hearth as the focus of your room.
    Do not paint the brick. It's earthy and very nice.
    Do get rid of the gold/brass fireplace surround and ground it by painting it out with Rustoleum paint. If it still looks small, as O feel it does now, trim the box of the fireplace with a larger dark or black frame.
    I like an idea expressed above of putting in a floating mantle. Nothing elaborate though. Paint it to match the fireplace box or white to match your shelving.
    Whether you put in a mantle ir not, I would use the space available on the hearth for a collection of largely-framed, coordinating photographs (black and whites of random pics of family/friends - not posed family pictures though), or get sepia-toned prints of photographs printed of places you have been. Fame them yourself for cost purposes (Michael's have great mattes and a variety of frames that you can pick up 50% off with store coupons from signing up on-line or weekly flyers). That will make it warm and inviting, as a fireplace should be.
    As for your TV, I like the idea that others have expressed about built-in shelving to the left of the fireplace. I think that would balance the current placement of the firplace. An inexpensive way to do this, would be to order from IKEA standard white bookshelves with adjustable heights for the shelving. Then frame the edge of the bookshelves using crown moulding, and paint it out, making it look like expensive built-ins. Use some of the space in the book shelving for an eye-height TV placement, and the rest for some nice (choose carefully) books, and some beautiful pieces of glass, wood, stone, or even tasteful souvenirs that echo the art work on the hearth. Don't overstock the shelves.
    The hearth may still be heavy, so you will need substantial pieces of furniture and art work in the room to balance it.
    The area to the right of the fireplace could certainly be built-ins as well, but a side table, lamp, cozy chair, and ottoman would make fir a nice reading area and do the trick.
    What does the rest of the room look like? Is the entrance from a hallway or is it part of a great room? Are there windows?
  • PRO
    Brick Transformers
    11 years ago
    If you're looking to compliment your decor with a new look for your brick, check out some of the fireplaces our clients have had us recolor and transform at http://BrickTransformers.com. You might find a few great ideas for your project. And if you are in the Chicagoland area and have a fireplace that needs a color makeover please feel free to call us at 847-397-4586 to find out how we can help.
  • PRO
    Renaissance Home Staging
    11 years ago
    I would talk with someone about this who can construct a more modern focal point for you,..without losing the ambience of a fireplace. We people here who are un-doing the mistakes of the big builders. http://dagrdesign.com/ Dagr design does some pretty amazing things. I'm sure there is someone who could help you in your area. You can do the built ins on the side, but that would cut off your heating. I personally feel that the fireplace is awkward in its design. This fireplace was designed in an area of No Flat panels.
  • Kevin Gowins
    11 years ago
    Thank you Renaissance. Anything short of really fixing a builder mistake will look like a short term fix. Do nothing without costing out the advantages of a permanent fix that fits with your lifestyle and your homes market value. I walk away from projects all the time that do not add real value.
  • mbcox
    11 years ago
    Thanks to everyone for your comments. We just bought a fixer-upper with a similar fireplace. We will not be placing a TV in this space, but it's still a challenge!
  • PRO
    Allyn Custom Woodworks
    11 years ago
    A bit of brainstorming to add:
    -Build out the left side of the raised hearth with 2x4s and plywood. Cover with durock at same height and projection as brick. Hearth width will now match fireplace brick width.
    -Cap newly sized hearth with slate/flagstone.
    -Run HDMI and power cable to approximate TV location.
    -Cap entire brick face with cut stone tile.
    -Install rustic/distressed floating mantel across entire front leaving 4-6" reveal at either end. (I would not install corbels. Even small vertical elements can telegraph and visually magnify the fireplace offset.)
    -Play around with TV location, either centered over fireplace opening or centered over mantel.
    -Get a wrought iron log carrier to balance out the offset fireplace and match the finish on the new fireplace front.

Realize that per code you need 12-14" of clearance between fireplace and a horizontal projection. The hearth looks to be about 12" off the floor, plus probably 30" for the fireplace itself, plus the 12" clearance, plus the 4" mantel thickness. Puts the bottom of the TV at ~58-60".

Note that "ideal" viewing height is viewing position eye level, at the horizontal middle of the screen. This will not be a good height for primary TV watching/family movie night.

Good Luck and post pics of final results!
  • Anthony Peetz
    11 years ago
    Add another eyeball light, center a flat screen TV above the fireplace and balance the weight with a wood cabinet with storage and open shelves to the top height of the TV creating a balanced wall with depth, character and variety in surfaces, materials and warmth. Get rid of the brass.
  • PRO
    Ann Corrigan-Royal LePage Real Estate Services
    11 years ago
    I agree with the advocates of built-ins...I would create built-ins that leave the fire-place in the centre...TV placed above....so as you look at the FP, the cabinet to the right will actually be built out to balance the left side. ...having said that, I also like Lkristine's idea above
  • lisaabrown
    11 years ago
    Hello,
    I like the idea of extending the hearth, makes extra sitting for gatherings, however add the built-ins first. Leave room for the flat screen within the built -ins. Put your Flat screen on a support that swivels out for viewing and is stored flat within the built ins when not in use.
  • maxamike
    11 years ago
    why dont you use your m;inds and not have a tv, or at least hide it behind a vibrant painting.
  • chrisroh
    11 years ago
    Is the all the brick necessary for the fireplace? Can you minimize the fireplace itself? It also needs a mantel. You could also paint the brick to "minimize" the brick color too.
  • PRO
    Southern Home Improvement, LLC
    11 years ago
    In this case the mantle, that contains all the electronics, is suspended between two built-ins and not mounted to the stone. You could also do a built-in beside the hearth incorporating the TV at fireplace or mantle height, similar to what has been suggested earlier.
  • alwaysdesigning
    11 years ago
    I agree with others; prefer not to put the tv on the fireplace wall; off to the side within new built-ins would be more ideal. Incorporate built ins into the fireplace wall with additional wrap around shelving onto the brick makes the entire wall one focal point.

Possibly extend the hearth across the front of the built ins incorporated as wood benches same height as the hearth for additional seating. Consider incorporating an elegant wood surround around the brick faced fireplace opening. Try to incorporate some wood storage and lighting.

For me, black painted built ins fades away but seems harsh, and white makes them jump out. A soft grey could be a nice compromise and blend with the brick more. Take some time to research, design and build. Good luck
    [houzz=
    town hall · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Porch House · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Contemporary Living Room · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Living Room · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Stinson Beach House · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Our top 20 favorite fireplaces · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    2576 ML · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Mod Redux · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Family Room · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Retro Family Room · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Living Room · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Mark Dutka · More Info
    ]
  • Pamela Berdusco
    11 years ago
    I spray painted our brass fireplace frame black with (BBQ paint) about 5 years ago and still looks great. This was suggested by a fireplace installer. Love my tv over the fireplace. Bought a sectional and put it back farther in the room as yes, there is some looking up - just need to place the furniture properly - we have one focal point now. Need a mantle if you are going to put a tv over the fireplace. I left my brick as is too - and chose a wall colour to complement the brick. Good luck!
  • lenakirman
    11 years ago
    I would put it above the fireplace in an ornate picture frame.
  • pattiegoode
    11 years ago
    I don't know what you mean when you say, "The dry walls on either side of the brick wall will be minimized." Can you explain? And more pix would be helpful. Love the floors and the brick has lots of color variation to work with! Congrats on your new home!
  • PRO
    Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
    11 years ago
    OMG I can't believe some "designers" are saying yes to mounting TV's over fireplaces -
    WRONG - that's the lazy way of doing things and means you've given up on where else to place the TV. Think outside the box, make the fireplace THE fireplace and the TV viewing the TV viewing - don't mix the two. The absolute worst thing is the mix them and make them both compete for attention as the focal point of the room..

When I want ambiance I want the Fireplace to be the star,
    when I want to watch my favorite TV shows, or have girl movie night - well, the TV is the star - and
    the rooms are designed to accommodate both moods.

Note: you'll never see a fireplace brochure showing a TV mounted over it, and vice-versa with a TV!

Built-ins are the answer - whether or not you paint or drywall the brick is your choice - I professionally love the brick but its not for everyone - it does boss the space around a bit, but nothing you can't make look amazing with the right focus.

The colour of the built-ins is also up for debate, as the cabinetry should tie-in with what you have going on in the rest of your home. Good Luck!
  • PRO
    Allyn Custom Woodworks
    11 years ago
    lol

Being a cabinet maker, I am always in favor of the built-ins!

Unfortunately, the photo doesnt tell enough about the room to suggest anything other than what was requested by the original poster. For some, a TV over the fireplace is a non-negotiable.......you can lead a horse to water but you cant make him drink! :-)

In the interest of full disclosure, I learned the hard way. The painting currently over my rustic, stone raised hearth fireplace, with distressed, wormwood mantel, conveniently hides the electrical outlet and $1000 worth of structured wiring that I ran to my original television location. Oops.
  • PRO
    House of Fine Carpentry- CABIFY Cabinetry
    11 years ago
    I would do built ins on either side of the fireplace. Mount the TV to the right of the fireplace and have it spray lacquered white.
  • PRO
    Anita Bourne t/a DefinitiveInteriorDesign.com
    11 years ago
    First rule of design, never EVER place a TV above a fireplace!! Look at some of the picture examples, you can see exactly why you shouldn't do this, it looks pants, you don't want a TV to be the first thing you notice when you walk into the room. The optimum position for a flat screen TV is at eye level when sitting down. Norwood Architect's illustration is completely in line with my own thinking, offsetting and incoporating the TV and adding a mantel will break up the overkill of otherwise attractive brickwork and provide you with a fabulous multi purpose focal point. The mantel will also enable you to off set a couple of lean to pictures on one side and display different height candle sticks/hurricane lanterns on the other side (see JWInteriors first example image). I would also reposition the middle downlight equidistant from the right hand side of the brickwork.
  • Donald Harris
    11 years ago
    the fireplace needs to stand alone. no tv on same wall.
  • PRO
    Calin R.L. Millwork & Design, LLC
    11 years ago
    I designed and built this unit for a client. The brick was left in place and I just installed the new custom piece. I used furniture grade pigmented paint (water based), LED lighting, glass shelves, etc.
  • PRO
    InteriorsbyDesign
    11 years ago
    I totally agree with the many comments made about NOT mounting the T.V. on the fireplace. There are many other options that would look better. First of all, it is not comfortable to tilt your head back to watch T.V. Second, from a design standpoint, it is not an attractive placement. Let the fireplace be a focal point, as it is meant to be. Third, it may not even be possible due to electrical connections, cable access...
    I do love the idea of flanking the fireplace with bookcases on both sides. Then, the T.V. can be placed on one of the shelves. I would add a mantle, and change the insert. It can be glass, or a free-standing screen. Also, you did mention that for some unknown reason to us, that you will be cutting back the dimensions of the walls that are on either side of the fireplace. You should be more specific as to what you mean by this.
    You do need to change the hearth to be the same length as the brick. It would be nice to change the material of the hearth to slabs of stone, concrete... in a neutral tone. It all depends on your budget, as to what you are willing to do. So many re-facing options are available, if budget permits...drywall, stone, slate, marble, granite, glass tiles, etc...Painting the brick is an option, but so much depends on your overall style. Adding beefier crown to the current brick would look much better, if you can only do a few minor things.
    More information, and pictures of all 4 walls are necessary to give you the details you need to move forward.
  • PRO
    Jilson Modern Home Staging
    11 years ago
    I do like many of the pics of built ins. Many of them show a TV somewhere, but would look tons better without. The TV really should go in a different part of the room. Be aware of the light coming in from windows. It can create glare on the TV and who wants to sit in a dark room with the curtains drawn in the middle of the day?

And many have mentioned painting the fireplace doors with Matte Black Rustoleum paint. Getting those custom made is expensive and finding ones that already fit is difficult. Paint it is!
  • tpstutz
    11 years ago
    Some great suggestions here but think of this....
    1. Flat Screens aren't built to be over the fireplace (can't take the heat long term) and you have a good chance of your expensive TV breaking.
    2. It really hurts your neck to watch TV up that high when TV is over the fireplace. (in-laws regret it)
    3. Yes to replacing or painting the 80s brass surround black.
    4. If you change your mind about painted brick, its a BEAR to sand-blast off. BUT that is a weird 70s blob of brick. In your case paint or build around with built-ins. If your room needs the warmth of brick, keep it but I'm leaning towards no. If you choose to remove some brick you might find structural issues underneath that need to be dealt with. Get a carpenter or builder friend to take a look at it for you before you decide.
    5. Figure out furniture lay-out for TV placement and before making expensive decisions. Do you have the budget for new furniture if you choose an option that doesn't work with what you have? If you watch a lot of TV, realistically the TV is as much a focal point as a fireplace. Then you should do what Norwood Architects sketched above which should work with most furniture.
    6. You could go with Norwood's idea with the exposed brick and see if you like it. If you decide to paint it could be done later. This option might also be the least expensive. You need to figure out where cable components go.
    7. Congrats on your new house and good luck!
  • laurakdesigns
    11 years ago
    I am not a fan of TVs above fireplaces. I think it's lazy decorating. The built-in ideas would be great. I recently put marble tiles over a brick fp and it dramatically went from an eyesore to an elegant backdrop. Use the special edging for the hearth and around the edges to finish it off.
  • PRO
    WorkSpaces Inc.
    11 years ago
    Your fireplace reminds me so much of one we worked on (a custom job, not our usual office furniture business). Brick on top half was removed, the bottom half refaced with Mosaic porcelain tile, and a craftsman style surround of American Cherry with East Indian Rosewood and Cocobolo inlays was built over the tile. See more photos at https://www.houzz.com/discussions/fire-place-cabinetry-handcrafted-cherry-family-room-dsvw-vd~379228
  • thickskin
    11 years ago
    Whatever you decide, PLEASE, PLEASE, DO NOT PAINT THE BRICK.
  • blrussell
    11 years ago
    I agree..do not paint the brick but I do think you need a darker shade on the walls.
  • allcast
    11 years ago
    @alwaysdesigning's Living room #1 seems to be your best solution. Build it out at the bottom to the hearth height and use the space below for logs. Shallow shelving up the left side can accommodate the television and some other interesting objects which would add color and interest to the room. The fireplace hearth could extend through the shelving and out over the FP. You can decide which height for the tv would best suit your seating and adjust your shelving.. I also like Norwood's design but I wonder if the tv would be too low...
  • stohlman4277
    11 years ago
    I just need to make one comment. Think hard about putting your TV above the fireplace mantle please. We did this in one of our homes and regretted it. We would get stiff necks and shoulders from watching TV at this slightly elevated pitch. The room was large and we had ample space between the seating and the TV so our necks weren't cocked at an extreme angle - but it was still a regrettable decision ultimately. In addition - we wear eyeglasses full time - which we felt added to the angle and position that we had to hold our head to view the TV. Wall mounting a television above a fireplace or at any height above a console height was a lesson in what not to do that we learned by experience.