susan_ricks78

I need advice on the front of my house

Susan R
7 years ago

We are building a new house, and are only 3 days into the 2nd month, and already I have an issue with how the front is going to look. Because of having a corner fireplace insert, we could not put windows in our living room. I'm fine with that since there will be plenty of light coming in thru the huge windows up top. However, from the outside, it looks soooo plain. What could I do to relieve this blank look without living room windows? Any advice would be appreciated.

Attached are a couple pictures of what it looks like to date.

We've gotten our posts on yesterday.

Comments (24)

• PRO
    Otis Creek Construction
    7 years ago
    Personally I believe you could make it up in landscaping or maybe build on a larger porch. I know it seems a little late but probably a large porch. You could frame in two wings off the side of that front build over and then leave some of the deck uncovered. Build it out one way possibly instead of both way.
    Susan R thanked Otis Creek Construction
  • PRO
    PPF.
    7 years ago

It pains me to see dilemmas like this. So much that could have been done ...

• french toast
    7 years ago

Maybe some shutters? I suppose its too late to make the two windows to the right/left bigger? Agree that landscaping may help.

BTW, I can't believe this has all been done in a month! wow.

Susan R thanked french toast
  • Rusty Empire
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

You have added the heavy timber support posts but the oversized portico needs the weight of something equally substantial to balance the structure above the posts. This hasn't been thought out in the preliminary stage with 3Ds to sort out all the bumps. I don't understand the post and beam timbers on the wall of the home at the entry as that should have been how the front was treated. As you have incorporated raw logs the rest should be the same material to look correct. This was one of our projects in the draft stage all of which utilized salvaged grain elevator timbers.

Now mostly built

Church conversion · More Info

Another project in the final draft stage (ignore ugly stone bases added)

Without a tie beam (at the very least!) this just looks utterly wrong. Where did the building design come from? Was this approved by an engineer? What sort of snow load do you get here as I would be very concerned about the structural integrity of this thing.

• Susan R
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Rusty Empire, snow load is absolutely NO concern as we get on average less than 1/2 inch every couple years.

• Rusty Empire
    7 years ago

Regardless, this is an engineering nightmare. Who designed this for you? Was it inspected?

• Susan R
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Nobody designed it for me. I drew it out myself, taking ideas from several plans that Iiked, and combining them. We are building it ourselves.

• Rusty Empire
    7 years ago

Well there we go. I'm sorry Susan as you clearly don't intend to take heed of these concerns. Best of luck.

• Susan R
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you for the ideas Patricia. Red door is already on the books!

• lefty47
    7 years ago

HI -- Just beautiful . Maybe add barn doors that look like they would slide over the entrance but just sit one on each side . Maybe matching shutters for the windows.

Susan R thanked lefty47
  • Elle
    7 years ago

It doesn't look to me like you need to start trying to re-design your house. Assuming you have a quality architect and builder, the home should be structurally sound and visually appealing when it's done. I agree with the first post that landscaping will make a big difference. There are many homes that ultimately look great based on the simplicity of their design.

Susan R thanked Elle
  • Susan R
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I really like that idea, lefty47! I'm actually having 2 barn doors inside made from wood from my grandparent's barn. And we do have enough wood left that we could make more. Thanks so much for your ideas.

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    7 years ago

I just saw a house on houzz just like yours. I will try to find it. It was terrific!

In the meantime, really add trim and substantial posts.

Susan R thanked JudyG Designs
  • shirlpp
    7 years ago

No chance of not having a corner fireplace huh??? That of course is the issue.

• felizlady
    7 years ago
    I agree the two windows facing the front are too small for such a large frontage. Adding shutters may help, and could match the roof color for continuity. Even shutters framing the front door might beef up the entrance. The door can be wood or another color. Is the exterior siding or log? The rustic style is very nice. The porch will be nice with a couple of painted Adirondack chairs and a small table. The rest can be done with landscaping...a nice curving walkway, lined with low evergreen shrubs, some trees for shape and color, some larger evergreen trees, some ceramic planters, matching the roof color, with plants.
    Susan R thanked felizlady
  • Susan R
    Original Author
    7 years ago

The exterior is cedar siding.

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    7 years ago

Found it....not exactly your house, but you will get the idea. Hope this inspiration picture helps.

Sonoma County Residence · More Info
    Enlarge the photo...the barn door effect is beyond....

• KD
    7 years ago
    You haven't had an architect or engineer of any sort look at the plan at all? I didn't know you could even do that these days, I thought stuff had to be inspected and so on.
  • Daniel S.
    7 years ago
    Add low hedges that will provide warmth and privacy.
  • lefty47
    7 years ago

HI -- When you get to the landscaping .... I love the look of the galvanized animal water troughs for planters . One on each side of the porch would look nice and go with the logs .

• Rusty Empire
    7 years ago

It's a house of cards, but no matter. Add more flowers and carry on regardless!

• connie912
    7 years ago
    What's done is done. Let's not plant seeds of doubt to high
    light our expertise.
    You have had some good suggestions to think upon and make decisions. Move forward. You are to be commended for building your own and Saving Lots of MONEY!
  • JustDoIt
    7 years ago

I agree with Rusty Empire. Find a professional now before you go any further. It is cheaper to fix it now than later. Since you are putting so much work into this home, you want it to be perfect and make you heart go aflutter when you drive up.

BTW, it is looking great. Can you add fake or faux windows?