rasa223

Need help with my kitchen

Rasa
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hi,

we are constructing a new house and its kitchen is really small. I have added the plan of it. I'm confused about the placements of appliances in my kitchen.

I have marked a,b,c,d in the diagram. where should I consider to place the sink,dishwasher, stove and refrigerator? it's a closed kitchen and there is a window at side "a".

Thank you

Rasa

Comments (13)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    8 years ago

I agree the DR is huge you need a KD to get this done properly not the architect that really doesn’t care about your kitchen Can’t tell about the whole floor plan but this area is poorly laid out IMO

Rasa thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • Rasa
    Original Author
    8 years ago

ThanksSativa Jaeger Designs LLC :-)
    I would consider moving the wall more to the dining area.And the Dining area is not that big as it is seen in the picture. The area opposite to "Guest WC " is just a closet.
    The wall between the hallway and kitchen is very much needed, otherwise there is no partition between kitchen and "Guest WC". This is standard design of a detached house in West Europe, the house is in the city limits so that there are certain limitations with the plan...
    But my point was mainly, how to place the appliances in this kitchen and make use of the space in a most desirable way. I cannot decide on the exact spot for the appliances like sink, stove,dish washer and fridge.
    Anyway Thanks a Lot for your inputs!

• auntthelma
    8 years ago

Assuming the dining room wall is solid (not sure because it looks like there are bar stools there, but) Assuming it is solid, sink in front of the window.

On the long wall, a dishwasher and range.

On the dining room wall, the refrigerator. That is so the 'fridge is accessible to all for drinks and ice without having to be in your work space.

Rasa thanked auntthelma
  • Rasa
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    what I think is;

a - dish washer
    b - sink
    c - stove
    d - refrigerator

which order would you suggest?
  • Rasa
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks auntthelma, A Sink at the window was also my idea, have to check if it is possible as It can block the window , as it opens towards the kitchen :-( Yes the dining room wall is solid (please neglect the bar stools) as we are going to close that side. As per the plan it was supposed to be an open kitchen, but we don't prefer it. thanks/

• PRO
    Sativa McGee Designs
    8 years ago

a-sink

b-D/W

c-Range

d-Refrigerator

Can you look at atleast moving the kitchen opening up further north? so that the refrigerator doors can swing open all the way without going into the hallway.

Rasa thanked Sativa McGee Designs
  • Rasa
    Original Author
    8 years ago

sure, will consider that Sativa Jaeger Designs LLC , great observation indeed! :) thank you! we also have a sliding door for this kitchen to save some space:)

• PRO
    Sativa McGee Designs
    8 years ago

Perfect, it looks like it is coming together nicely.

• PRO
    Cabinets by Design LLC
    8 years ago

I would consider putting the refrigerator backed up to the dining room wall in the corner by the opening if that wall is solid and if there is room. I would keep sink under window and dish washer at B and then range at C. I would try to keep the entrance into the kitchen a little wider since the room is somewhat small.

Rasa thanked Cabinets by Design LLC
  • Rasa
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Cabinets by Design LLC if there is no room there, where would you consider placing the refrigerator? I would need some dry area (counter top) as well to keep my mixer/blender etc. also some space in the bottom for cabinets to keep all those big vessels for cooking.

How to make use of the corner portion well? side - d?

I have to think about the possibility Sativa Jaeger Designs LLC mentuioned , about moving the kitchen opening up further north. I also don't want want the kitchen door to be just opposite to toilet door . the kitchen door should start at the point where toilet door ends.

I know this is a huge challenge, as it is really small and thats the only drawback of this house which we had to compromise considering all other aspects.

• PRO
    Sativa McGee Designs
    8 years ago

even just moving it 6" north would give you enough room to have the refrigerator on the south wall up against the wall.

So that you can have continuous counter top space between the refrigerator and range for prepping and your small appliances.

• PRO
    Sativa McGee Designs
    8 years ago

A refrigerator in a corner takes up SO much space and in an already small kitchen you would waste a few square feet.