tommyflan

POLL: Industrial style - still hot or not?

Tom Flanagan
8 years ago

Apart from the Scandinavian insurgence, no style has perhaps become more popular in recent times than the rugged, bare look of all things industrial and warehouse. Leaning on everything brick and reclaimed, exposed and organic, it's a style that is undeniably unapologetic and eye-catching, hence the mass appeal. But like all trends and styles, is its time coming to an end?

Arguably a little ubiquitous now, do you think industrial style is still hot or not? Vote and comment below!

Nicks Kitchen · More Info

Yes - still hot!
No - it's too ubiquitous now
Other - tell us!

Comments (33)

• PRO
    The Bristol Wine Rack Company
    8 years ago

Great to contrast industrial with natural / rustic materials.

• PRO
    Style Our Home
    8 years ago

Keep an eye out for our latest blog coming soon on industrial style furniture.

www.styleourhome.com/blog/

• Trisha Goodwin
    8 years ago

We are moving soon, the house has a shaker kitchen in stone with very sleek contemporary taps, sinks and handles. I was initially going to go industrial with the accessories throughout the house, starting with some stools in the kitchen. However, just bought two taupe Natuzzi sofas half price, fell in love with them and now going for a more grown up, Italian classic/contemporary style instead (which I feel will work with the handles/taps in kitchen better as well as going with lamps we have). I quite liked the industrial look, but felt a bit young and maybe overdone as well (every cafe now seems to have this look)? Glad to now be going for something more sleek/contemporary/classic which is actually more us.

• PRO
    Hermantes Basha
    8 years ago

Use lasting high quality materials such as stainless steel wil ensure your project is timeless and lasting.

• gilliifer
    8 years ago

I love industrial or urban style, only use a few touches though.

• Abi Nuchi
    8 years ago

Personally I think it depends on the weather of the city you live in and the orientation of your flat/home. If your windows allow for lots of light, particularly in the kitchen and the bedroom, then industrial is chic and sophisticated. However that may change to dark and dreary if you don't have the ability to capture light; industrial could have the effect of feeling like a factory.

• Gerry Rust
    8 years ago
    • Interestingly I have a 'library' of design books that I pick up from charity shops/discount book shops etc as I can't bring myself to pay £20+ for something I will browse through once or twice and then leave on a shelf for years! Inevitably they are all years out of date but I find that there really is nothing new under the sun and what people are flagging up as recent trends have often been around for decades they were just called something else :D I have found examples of what we would term 'industrial chic' in some books that are over 16 years old, usually labelled as 'rustic' or 'urban cool'. However you choose to describe it there will always be fans of this look, as indeed there are for most other styles you can thinks of, from retro to baroque, which is a good thing as far as I'm concerned :)
  • PRO
    Vanilla Deco Interiors
    8 years ago

Still hot, combine with other styles for an eclectic look .

• PRO
    Holt
    8 years ago

Still hot!

• PRO
    DecoStyle&Joinery LTD
    8 years ago

Great look

• PRO
    Four Dots Design Limited
    8 years ago

love this look.

• PRO
    turnerbates Design & Architecture
    8 years ago

Looks great!

• PRO
    Austin John Ltd
    8 years ago

We really love the industrial style! It really is good to see something different, and a little heavier to add impact to your home.

• PRO
    Louise Jackson Interior Design Ltd
    7 years ago

We love the Industrial look and have used it as shelving in our own showroom. Its raw honesty combines well with more luxurious products, we have the shelving next to a Rossini velvet sofa from Mulberry and it looks fab. Mixing styles shows personality.

• PRO
    Urban Metalworks
    7 years ago

Industrial styles have changed but are still very fashionable in certain style houses.

• PRO
    iroka
    7 years ago

What's great about Industrial look is that you can add small elements to combine with traditional or Contemporary styles for a subtle yet up to date look! We love combining industrial elements to coastal seaside properties for a real elemental twist :)

• PRO
    Emily Readett-Bayley Ltd
    7 years ago

Industrial is fine if it is softened with natural materials too

• PRO
    No Limits Designs Ltd
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

We think the industrial look is great because you can mix it up with contemporary styles too and it will fit in with most looks you are trying to achieve.

• PRO
    Marilyn Harrington Home
    7 years ago

Industrial look is great way to mix different design elements and textures - combines traditional with contemporary. Love it!

• PRO
    Docklands Bathrooms
    7 years ago

Contrast always gives that edge rather than all in the same style. Straight line and curves, Cold colour and warm, Hard material and soft...

• PRO
    Jonathan Smith Architects
    7 years ago

looks great

• PRO
    Painted London
    7 years ago

Absolutely - industrial can work well in a variety of different style homes.

• PRO
    Warrington + Rose
    7 years ago

This is a great look, absolutely timeless

• PRO
    The Open Plan - Interior Design
    7 years ago

I voted yes, I have a very tasteful luxe project in progress. Concrete with beautiful natural materials and lots of oversized windows to let light flood in.

• PRO
    Sha McAuley Photography
    7 years ago

Voted yes, as I love the warmth it brings mixing up the old and new.

• PRO
    Ruth Turner Interior Design Ltd
    7 years ago

I love this look, but find homeowners are sometimes a bit nervous of using it

• Ballal Mirza
    7 years ago

I think it's a fantastic look and so adaptable. There are big moves in introducing a luxury edge in to the industrial style. Also many scandi looks are often verging on industrial. Love me a bit of wrought iron and Edison bulbs.

• PRO
    Tricia Harris Designs
    7 years ago

I like mixing old and new materials when creating industrial style pieces and I think this keeps it fresh.

• PRO
    Stovell Design
    7 years ago

I love mixing the old and the new, so of course we need the new.

• PRO
    Mizzi Studio
    7 years ago

I think it highly depends on the space and the products used. If it is inclined towards being hipster, that style is getting old. But there are ways to keep the industrial style fresh.

• PRO
    Oli & Grace
    7 years ago

We still love the trend www.oliandgrace.co.uk

• PRO
    Style Our Home
    7 years ago

Back To Basics - it's a long lasting trend. https://www.styleourhome.com/blog/BacktoBasics/