abhishekc1984

Need help for my Living Room

abhishekc1984
6 years ago

Need some design suggestions for the Living Room.

The room has a beam on the top which is very disturbing as shown in the photo. Need some help. Room dimensions are shown in below photo.

I need design suggestion for the beam and the TV mounted wall ...

I am planning to cover the beam with false ceiling .... need some suggestions here..

I am planning to color the TV mounted wall with some textured painting ... need some suggestions here...

Also I want the room to look like spacious... need some suggestions here .... the room is occupied with TV, sofa and coffee table... how can i make the room look spacious..

Please help me in designing the room..with your valuable suggestions

Room Dimensions:

Room with beam and TV point

Thanks

Comments (5)

• libradesigneye
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

11' across x 14' can be a decent conversation zone. You have a nice window without too many privacy issues - good natural light, nice view of tropical foliage. The higher ceilings seem to be one of the things that will help the room feel larger - here's a completely different approach for you to consider . .

I would instead make the beam a feature - wrap it in stained wood boards (that match or just a 1/2 tone darker than your entry doors) to make it seem a real beam - the small beam that comes out to meet it might be painted black and some faux black bolt heads and plates applied to get it to feel more rustic industrial / loft - afraid a fake ceiling is going to look cheap. The wood and black above will work with the off white walls. Consider instead of texturally painting the tv wall - let the "canvas" of all the walls stay uniform if you want this to feel large. The back wall is not the best for television anyway, if you want the room to feel large - the wall to the left of the door - (no window there, eh?) is the right place for a large flat screen wall mounted sort of center in the room (that appears to be the non-operable side of the double entry, typically unused) . Do a narrow console table underneath with drawers and lower shelves for the cable box. That can also be your laydown space and the rest of the room starts to live larger.

I would run a large sectional in the beam recess area with the short end coming back just to become a lounge under the window (hang a stained board on angle brackets as a custom sofa shelf on the wall in the recessed end to fill it and provide a place for drinks) - the "beam" will make seating feel sort of sheltered there. It will work together . .you have a good long run nearly 8' there. If you want the room to feel big, a long sofa with a turn so many can gather for conversation is the best approach. Split the power for the television into two (easy 1 hour of electrician), patch this wall and hang wall mounted black iron sconces above the sofa back at two locations designed for the length of your sofa. Use a round iron and wood table at the sectional and a pair of great, small scale modern chairs facing the window set on the opposite wall. Consider a large scale modern abstract over the back of the sofa, and a gallery of black and white graphic photos framed in natural wood with black mats around the television on the tv wall. To the left of the window, hang some black iron hooks on a wall mounted wood board.

With the wood, white and black iron, select your accent color carefully - neutrals for the main pieces - maybe some saddle leather for the chair pair. Color only in art - play off the green and white outside

abhishekc1984 thanked libradesigneye
  • abhishekc1984
    Original Author
    6 years ago

thanks libradesigneye, do you have any photos to share ?

• libradesigneye
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Loft, Loft, Loft · More Info

Living Room · More Info

Let me find some here on houzz .. .

Spice Warehouse Tribeca Loft Living Room · More Info

There is another way to go too - look at the drop wood grids that Susan Susanka uses in her open concept rooms to define spaces .. you might use that sort of open grid over the sofa and run it / attach it to the bottom of the drywall beam. She has some pages here, but I'm thinking specifically of her "Inside the not so big house" book where she discusses details like her grids .. let me see if I can find any images.

Better I think to USE it and make it an architectural feature than to conceal it. See the black steel plates / connectors used in some of these above - if you paint the connector beam (the one that returns to the back wall) in matte black paint, add some bolts and nuts and plates - you get the "look" that it is holding up the other "beam" which you cancontinue across to the other wall .. you can white wash or cream wash the wood beam wrap if you aren't sold on matching the entry door (or you want to cream wash the entry door) . . in which case the returning beam element should probably be left as drywall . . .you might decide to add two more "shallow" faux beams across the room so this beam is the only deep one, but your ceiling has a series .. . you might go vigas.. I've seen people take wood poles, cut them in half, and affix them to a ceiling to resemble southwestern architectural ceilings .. those would be shallow (compared to the beam) could even be painted the wall color but add more texture and tone to the room. . . they would want to run through the entire room to the beam and behind the beam appear to continue through the recess . . but could be discontinued over the area that is the exit to the other rooms in the space. The condo would want to be in the west or southwest for that sort of treatment .. the loft treatment is doable anywhere . . you've got a diagonal traffic pattern to deal with no matter what you do, so I hate to see you lose all this space to a television ..

• libradesigneye
    6 years ago

Here are the susan susanka grids .. organized back to a trim line that picks up the wood and elevation they land .. you could run this in the area behind the "beam" as an alternative to a dropped ceiling .. you can also drop pendants through the grid ..

Libertyville Not So Big Showhouse · More Info

• libradesigneye
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Of these, here is my favorite look for your space - even without the post or the cross beams, you will get an immediate first impression that is warm, contemporary, interesting .. and the high ceilings will then get noticed. . .

Loft, Loft, Loft · More Info