premshen

"Need Help in designing wheelchair accessible Kitchen"

premshen
11 years ago
My wife is paraplegic and I am unable to locate any consultant in India who can suggest a decent plan to make our kitchen, wheelchair accessible.
I would highly appreciate if some body could help me in designing the same.
The dimension of the kitchen room is 14'.7" x 8'.9".
Eagerly awaiting a response.
Regards,
Premshen

Comments (6)

• mmilos
    11 years ago
    Premshen, search online for America's National Kitchen and Bath Association ( NKBA) Guidelines. They have guidelines/ rules for accessibility in kitchens and baths for people with disabilities. Good luck!
  • mmilos
    11 years ago
    Here are some of the guidelines without needing to purchase a book:
    http://starcraftcustombuilders.com/kitchen.design.rules.htm
  • premshen
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I will access the necessary sites for information. Thank you all for your valuable feedback.
    I do not think there is a national association of home builders in India to deal with accessibility issues
    Regards,
    Premshen
  • grevillea
    11 years ago
    There are many info sources on Australian internet sites too. I tried to cut and paste but it won't work. I think if you want to search Google and more easily access websites based in other countries it helps to type "site country code; query" eg site au; wheelchair accessible kitchen or Australia Liveable Housing Guidelines. Youtube has videos of kitchens and also search under 'handicap kitchens' on youtube and Google images. Good luck.
  • nasmijati
    11 years ago
    You might take a look at The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) website. They have specific measurements for wheelchair turning radius, ramps, et cetera. You will probably need to convert inches to centimeters.

Another site to look at is:
    universaldesignstyle.com

schaefferconstruction.com (USA) specializes in Universal Design. They may be able to help you locate a builder in your area.