swarnima_singh

need help for vignette arrangement on the sideboard

rose
9 years ago

got this tall antique clock to cover the switch board behind. but now I am in a dilemma as to what other things should be kept there to bring in a harmonious effect

Comments (16)

• rose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@despinach Thankyou. It would be more helpful if you post some pictures for me

• Rina
    9 years ago

I think the first thing you could do is add a fifth element to this lovely vignette, to spread its shape more to the right (a better-proportioned triangle) and to the front -- it is as a whole pushed too far back, but I suspect that's to hide the switch properly. If you placed something light-reflecting, like a paperweight, in the position I've indicated below, I think that would make a more complete and pleasing composition.

A secondary thing you might consider -- although it's definitely not everyone's taste -- is using an antique lace runner on the chest. Something that allows a lot of the wood to show through, like the antique Quaker lace example below (from ebay, according to my google search, though I couldn't find it there), would work well, I think. If I considered that I would first experiment with the effect with some scarf or piece of lace-like cloth, as really good lace can be quite expensive, and cheap lace looks tatty. The paperweights shown aren't bargain basement either, but one can get such pretty ones at very reasonable cost.

http://www.antiques.com/classified/Antique-Glass-/Antique-Paperweights/Perthshire-Scotland-Art-Glass-Swirl-Paperweight

Haford Grange dandeliion paperweight: https://www.pinterest.com/foxey51pintrest/glass-paperweights/

rose thanked Rina
  • rose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

please come up with suggestions.... waiting....thankyou

• rose
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

@rina...yes adding the fifth element is definitely a good idea. thank you so much for the images. going by your suggestion, my fifth element would be smaller than the tumbler. I hope that would be fine?

• marilynellis
    9 years ago
    Use the rule of 3. 3 items in three different levels. Go to Houzz photos for lots of ideas.
    rose thanked marilynellis
  • miacometlady
    9 years ago
    Artwork or mirror on wall, your clock, a lamp, perhaps a framed photo and something you collect- glassware?
    rose thanked miacometlady
  • despinach
    9 years ago

Just an idea of what I mean...If you don't hang the painting on the wall (and just make it stand there), you can still easily reach the switch board.
    https://www.houzz.com/photos/new-york-city-loft-eclectic-dining-room-new-york-phvw-vp~1005188

https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-dining-room-traditional-dining-room-atlanta-phvw-vp~324761

rose thanked despinach
  • rose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

can I add any one of these items to my vignette as the 5th element (rule of odds) to make it visually appealing....before going for any major changes

• despinach
    9 years ago

Try them and post some photos for us! I would probably go for the angel or the second one (the green one, in order to add some color), but you have to see it as a whole. They are all nice items!

rose thanked despinach
  • rose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Guess this is more balanced... What say?

• decoenthusiaste
    9 years ago

Unless you're timing meals, don't put a clock in the dining room.

rose thanked decoenthusiaste
  • rose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@decoenthusiate.... True...but this is my living room. But is the clock looking out of proportion?

• decoenthusiaste
    9 years ago

The items, including the clock, seem underscale and feminine for the rustic more masculine feeling the sideboard has.

rose thanked decoenthusiaste
  • Rina
    9 years ago

Hi Rose. So sorry to have been absent for so long -- I lost internet connection for a solid week. Tore all my hair out, and now this bald lady is saying that the angel above would make a good fifth element, I think, if it's the right size (not too big). It you are considering purchase, try to borrow it first to see. Otherwise, put something in roughly the same size and shape -- scrumpled up paper can work -- in that position. Trust your eye as you did so well with the start of the vignette. I would prefer your original arrangement, with that, to the the second arrangement, in which I think the white is too stark, and the colour too bright. You want a feeling of age and patina, which is what you have in the first arrangement. Also, in the second arrangement, the clock and the couple are overwhelmed by the bright white.

My thought about the lace runner is not unconnected with Decoenthusiaste's comment above. I don't think your items are too feminine, but perhaps underscale. But adding a large item won't help; a runner could, by enlarging the footprint (base area).

rose thanked Rina
  • rose
    Original Author
    8 years ago