mayank_kumar2240746

Are brick pillars needed for supporting granite counter top in modular

Mayank Kumar
9 years ago
I am confused as some people are saying that we need brick pillars for strength but some are saying that just ply board support is enough. Any suggestion? Attaching some pictures of my under construction house for reference.

Comments (10)

• Nancy Travisinteriors
    9 years ago
    Plywood is enough if cabinets under it.
  • PRO
    CAGE Design Build
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Yes, plywood is enough support for the granite countertop

• PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    9 years ago

What is all that and what is this room supposed to be?

• PRO
    Cusano Construction Company Inc.
    9 years ago

where do people come across this stuff? never seen that unless doing outdoor kitchen.

• marilynellis
    9 years ago
    I am guessing this s not in USA but in a country where wood is rare and expensive.
  • PRO
    Mallika Seth
    3 years ago

Using brick pillars to support the granite counter top was a model used quite a few years back. However since we now make modular/ customized carpentered kitchens of plywood/wood/ mdf the brick pillars are no longer required. This gives us few more inches of usable spaces within the kitchen cabinets. The boxwork/carcass of the cabinetry can easily support the granite countertop.

• PRO
    Urban Kitchens
    3 years ago

Hello, Mayank kumar

we agree with Ms. Mallika Seth, the support of carcass will be adequate, although because you have already installed concrete pillars, you can go ahead with them too.

Regards,
    Urban Kitchens

• PRO
    Archkruti Studio
    3 years ago

Yes. Neither the brick pillars nor kaddapa tile supports are needed to hold the granite countertop.

• PRO
    WDF space design, Interior Design Business
    3 years ago

there is many types of support to be used for counter top for long lasting work...

as ...

1) brick wall which takes 2" , 4" or 6" thickness space which is not good for below space as we will waste space for storage under counter... this is used where heavy material is used on top of counter for cutting any food items...

2) marble support... which will take 35mm thk space double support...

3) furniture base if the kitchen working person is using the sink properly for washing purpose and the gaps between the sink and counter top has to be sealed properly for leakage free to avoid any damages for below storage, as i will not prefer this in other area... this can be used only in foreign countries...