mouse_house1234

HELP!!!! To Paint or Not to Paint Oak Trim...

Gayle Hansen
9 years ago

Hi,

This is our soon-to-be new house (close in a month!) with honey oak trim. While the wall colors seem to be well-chosen for the wood trim, I am considering taking the leap and having the trim painted out all white, especially since we will be refacing the kitchen cabinets and taking down the wall the desk is on to improve sight lines. I am concerned with the rest of the house looking dated after that update. I would leave the wood beams and railing untouched. There is no way I would do it myself, and I am so bad with deciding to spend money; I like to save. But I also like the modern look of white trim. Part of me fears that the white trim is going to look dated in a few years as well, and wood will be the "in" look (20 year cycle right?). The house is in the woods, so the wood almost goes with the cozy feeling as well, and I don't need to follow the crowd either. I'm going to get all new window treatments and a new fireplace door regardless and more modern furniture, so I feel that should help even if we leave the trim. Akkk, so indecisive. Too many pros and cons! Please help me decide!!

Comments (13)