ruc003

Front window blunder mitigation!

ruc003
9 years ago

So my question is more directed towards modest brick and mortar houses prevalent in SouthEast Asia than those in Western countries. Hope someone will be able to provide some decent input to solve my dilemma.

Here, attached is the front window of second floor (top window) that we are building. Initial thought was to make a RCC/PCC box but someone was not pleased with that type of elevation and rather insisted on making a 'C' shaped window (pseudo bay window type) as you can see. Without much time to think about future cons, we went with it. Here are two main issues:

1. Window frame is wooden (installed already)

2. Weathershade is not of reasonable dimension so as to protect against heavy rain in Western India.

We have not installed the window shutters yet and I am told that uPVC and Aluminium shutters won't work well on wooden frame as wood tends to swell and you cannot shave-off plastic and metal shutters to fit them, unlike wooden shutters. My only option seems to be wooden shutter but I am really concerned about significant exposure to elements, owning to the small sized weathershade. Deal is mostly done but I would love to have anyone's input that could help me to make better decision, still.

Thanks very much,

Rahul

Comments (2)

• User
    9 years ago

Can they not increase the amount of the top frame-out to at least match the extension on the bottom window?

• ruc003
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@sooz001 - Top frame weather shade is same as bottom one. Attaching new pic for better view. Mostly, i will have to use wooden shutters and extend the weather-shade, may be using some stone or RCC.