proxygeek

Need help "hiding" or utilising an old, steel almirah (closet/storage)

proxygeek
9 years ago

Did a remodelling of the entire house recently and left with an old steel almirah (closet / storage / cupboard). Would like to avoid giving it away, if possible but it looks hideous in the current settings.

Options I have considered so far:

1) Spray paint it some bold, fun colors like blue, yellow, etc and use it as a quirky, functional showpiece.

2) Use wallpapers / decals to quickly hide the old steel surface and refresh the look.

3) Use wallpapers / decals along with a small sticky chalkboard patch which can serve as a message board for the family.

What do you guys think? Any other ideas we can consider?

Comments (17)

• User
    9 years ago

Sand, prime and paint, if you want to hang on to it. You could use the outer surface for a family chore schedule, notes, calendar of the week's events, whatever you need. Vertical storage is always useful.

proxygeek thanked User
  • PRO
    Circle Goods Reclaimed
    9 years ago

You should have it powder coated, it is a super cheap option and holds up so much better!

proxygeek thanked Circle Goods Reclaimed
  • proxygeek
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks sooz001 and Circle Goods! Would look into powder coating options available around here.

@Sooz001: I too was thinking along the same lines - using one of the surfaces for notes, photos and stuff like that.

• PRO
    Heather Zane
    9 years ago
    Chalkboard paint would be great with the industrial bones. Find decorative magnets to display kids' artwork.
  • apple_pie_order
    9 years ago

Imagine it painted or powder coated, somewhere in your house. If you would not buy something like this new, don't put it in your completely remodelled house.

• PRO
    ABBOTT CONSTRUCTION
    9 years ago
    What a great piece! I would not recommend power coating as I like to keep things original when they warrant it, also, it won't serve as well as a chalkboard.
    I would rehab it (address rusty areas, sand and paint with a paint specifically for metal (Sherwin Williams).
    Re: the color, it's hard to say not knowing the space you are using or the style, I don't think I would make it a "center piece" unless you are doing industrial or contemporary style and it is in a utility room.
    Love the magnet idea.
    Worst case scenario some man is out there looking for this for his man cave.
  • PRO
    Mkang
    6 years ago
    I want use wallpaper on my iron almira
  • HU-863579407103
    5 years ago

Would u plz share some paint design on steel almirah

• U R
    4 years ago

Would love to see what you did with your almirah ultimately.

• Jinesh Shah
    4 years ago

I faced the same issue when i brought a new house and had to use my old double door refrigerator. The refrigerator was white in colour but after 6 years of usage it turned yellow . I simply brought a 700 Rs decal sticker from aliexpress and voila its turns out really well for my house. Attached some pictures for your reference. Now talking about the almirah i would have painted it some bright neon colour or maybe matt black ( colour depending on what would look good in your house ) to make it the show stopper of the house. Good luck and post pictures once its done!!

• U R
    4 years ago

Thanks Jinesh. The pictures are really helpful. Your fridge is looking very good!

• PRO
    Pochē Aesthetics and Creatives
    4 years ago

Hi there!

Do consider PVC adhesive skins, which are super easy to apply and make a fun DIY activity. Alternatively, if your theme allows, go for mirror panelling designs in rose gold or a matching shade to completely transform your almirah.

• PRO
    studio KIMAYA
    4 years ago

Hi

Use of self adesive furniture wallpaper is also a good option

Also u can use painting optionto to give a distressed look

Thanks & Regards

Kimayaartreum

• PRO
    WDF space design, Interior Design Business
    4 years ago

firstly the maintenance cost u have to bear, such as scraping paint, uneven surfaces, hinges, locks, etc internal fittings, base rubber cover for 4 stands to avoid water,

If the shutter is opening easy without any sound or obstruction, then only u use it or else repair it,

try to use latest designer colourful film for easy to clean by water it any dust stick to it..

• PRO
    WDF space design, Interior Design Business
    4 years ago

only from external.. internal go for reasonable paint

• Dr. Afshan Jafri
    3 years ago

Great idea!