marcella84

Backsplash recommendations

marcella84
11 years ago
last modified: 11 years ago
Trying to pick a traditional timeless backsplash to compliment the antique brown countertops. The cabinet colour is ivory white. Suggestions please??

Comments (32)

• PRO
    Stanton Designs-online design services
    11 years ago
    Are you looking to add color? Want to keep it simple and neutral?
  • marcella84
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I was looking at the ivory subway tile and found it might make the space too bland - although I do like that monochromatic look but, the fact that I have an antique brown countertop makes me think if I do install an ivory tile, the countertop will look like a slab of brown. So I am open to suggestions but I do want something that is timeless. If I do the ivory tile, I can choose a dark kitchen table and window treatments that will pull it all together. Can you tell I am confused? ha! :)
  • modzak
    11 years ago
    Look how beautiful the blue of the windows looks there. What about a sky blue, periwinkle or aqua - or maybe combination- glass tile combo?
  • marcella84
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    what about an ivory white tessen tile?
  • timglidden
    11 years ago
    What about white subway tile with a light grey grout ?
  • Ashley Hoffman
    11 years ago
    I LOVE antique brown granite! I think a natural stone like marble or travertine would look very timeless. Does the wall curve like that or is it just a distorted picture? If it does, I would use a smaller mosaic to enhance the curve. Another idea, you could do another type of granite or marble for the backsplash. A Bianco Antico would look very nice with that granite, or a Carrara marble if you want to. Make sure you're aware marble is harder to maintain however.
  • PRO
    Flawless Interior Design
    11 years ago
    HI, this is my Professional opinion and please keep in mind, I only do High End work. The kitchen looks beautiful, the contrast between the counter top and the color of the cabinets, screams, for form and color. Look at glass tiles and add some color and drama to the kitchen. Because of your window trim, I would try to do a pattern that follows that style. I see a lot of straight lines, so try to look at different glass tile shapes, to break that pattern. I cant see the floor. Let me know, if i can assist you further. My pleasure.
  • PRO
    Flawless Interior Design
    11 years ago
    HI, this is my Professional opinion and please keep in mind, I only do High End work. The kitchen looks beautiful, the contrast between the counter top and the color of the cabinets, screams, for form and color. Look at glass tiles and add some color and drama to the kitchen. Because of your window trim, I would try to do a pattern that follows that style. I see a lot of straight lines, so try to look at different glass tile shapes, to break that pattern. I cant see the floor. Let me know, if i can assist you further. My pleasure.
  • marcella84
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I was thinking about a tessen or beveled arabesque tile in an ivory white. To keep that traditional look but adding edge with the shape - I thought would do well with the space.
  • Natalie
    11 years ago
    Love what you have. I would bring in a very interesting backsplash-repeating pattern of windows---with both cool and warm hues. Pics for inspiration. Good Luck!
    [houzz=
    Rumi, Talya Collection by Sara Baldwin for Marble Systems · More Info
    ][houzz=
    Gaia, Talya Collection by Sara Baldwin for Marble Systems · More Info
    ][houzz=
    Theodora, Talya Collection by Sara Baldwin for Marble Systems · More Info
    ][houzz=
    Constantine, Talya Collection by Sara Baldwin for Marble Systems · More Info
    ][houzz=
    Sophia, Talya Collection by Sara Baldwin for Marble Systems · More Info
    ][houzz=
    Traditional Kitchen Tile · More Info
    ][houzz=
    Traditional Kitchen Tile · More Info
    ]
  • PRO
    Gorgeous Homes, Inc
    11 years ago
    I would make it interesting, NOT busy. First of all, those patterns above are beautiful, but, you don't have that much space to really showcase the style. Kitchens are very important, especially if you decide to sell. Glass tiles go from 8.99 sqft to over 120 dollars, so, there are plenty to choose from.
  • PRO
    Countertop Creations
    11 years ago
    I would do a light color natural stone like a travertine and do a glass border tile to tie in the brown in the countertop. look at my page and you will see one just like that.
  • kaklopp
    11 years ago
    I would say something with a splash of color. Right now this room is mostly white tones and needs color.
  • kaklopp
    11 years ago
    By splash of color I mean like a rich brown. This is a very high end style kitchen that needs to keep it that way.
  • Prince Todd
    11 years ago
    Neutral or you will be redecorating in three years.
  • PRO
    Monique Jacqueline Design
    11 years ago
    Hello!
    Love the direction Natalie has mentioned! 3rd row, 2nd column would be beautiful!
    This marble was what I was going to suggest because it has a brown vein to it!
    This would be stunning!
    Excited to see your final decision!
    Cheers!
    m.
  • PRO
    Susan Jablon Mosaics
    11 years ago
    Hi marcella84!
    First I want to say that you're choices thus far are really beautiful! I understand you want to choose something classic and timeless that you will love for years to come. It looks to me as though your kitchen has a very beautiful balance between traditional and clean contemporary styles. An white or ivory subway tile with dark grout, as suggested above, seems like it might be a bit too far on the strictly traditional side of things, so I would say if you do go plain subway, do a light, ivory grout. Something fun, if you're worried about all that ivory tile being too bland, would be to do it in conjunction with a different tile on the wall behind the range going all the way up to the ceiling. It would be a great place to bring in a pop of color without being too overwhelming. The image below is of an ivory cabinet, antique brown counters, and three different tiles. The first is a 1x3 ivory subway, the second is stainless steel squares in a diamond pattern to echo the diamonds in the windows, and the third is a herringbone mosaic featuring ivory and gold colors.
  • PRO
    Mary Dancey Interiors
    11 years ago
    Did you consider putting an island in the design faze of your kitchen? It looks like you have room, dark brown cabinetry with a light counter top would look very nice. I too like the idea of doing something different around the stove venting. I think that if you chose a tumbled travertine in a subway pattern it would look quite nice and timeless.
  • PRO
    Travis Robert Renovations
    11 years ago
    For a timeless look- Ivory/white subway tile with a simple marble mosaic over the cooktop to add some interest.
  • mmilos
    11 years ago
    Nice space!

Keep in mind, you don't need to rush into a decision for the backsplash. Have the walls painted and noodle on it for a little bit. The cabinets can settle a bit and this gives time to make an appropriate decision. Or allows you to save some money for a more expensive tile if funds are currently limited.

Classic white subway tiles (I like white grout so it's not as busy) with a glass tile mosaic band of dark browns, beiges, creams and grays would look good and add some interest.
  • PRO
    Carolyn C. Interior Decorator, Brampton, ON.
    11 years ago
    Hi Marcella84. Here are some shots for you to see the impact of different colours and styles. It may help you make a decision.
  • PRO
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    This shows one of the tiles above
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    This shows one of the tiles above - they are truly beautiful, just make sure you get a sample to ensure the tones are working with your existing finishes
  • PRO
    Mary Dancey Interiors
    11 years ago
    The Sara Baldwin tile work is so beautiful!! I thought I was looking at wallpaper up above and thought it odd that someone would recommend it for a back splash. :)
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    This shows a medium ivory subway style natual stone
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    This is Emperador Light
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    This shows Emperador Dark. You may also want to consider the format of your tile. It has to be small enough to fit well on the curved wall.
  • PRO
    Trends in Tile
    11 years ago
    What a beautiful kitchen! Classic subway...maybe with a beveled edge? A nice glass, picking up the beautiful browns?
  • bdennison
    11 years ago
    mmilos mentioned subway with mosaic. Here is a sample.
  • marcella84
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks everyone for the feedback. Much appreciated.