happykate_gw

Exposed rafter tails & gutters

Happykate
16 years ago

I'd like to have the rafter tails on our house & porch exposed, but our builder seems to be unsure about how to handle the gutters. I don't know enough to understand, so have any of the rest of you dealt with this? Can the gutters go on top of the rafter tails?

Thanks in advance, Clueless Kate.

Comments (12)

• sue36
    16 years ago

This might help.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gutter Brackets

• Happykate
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh, thanks, sue; they're charming! However, they seem to cover up the rafter tails in the same way (more affordable) gutters do. Any other options, thoughts?

• vfish
    16 years ago

HappyKate, I received your message, sorry, I have been on the road. we have in our rafter tails but have not reached the point of getting the gutters. However, the picture below shows how the house we are designing our home after has the gutters and Xmas lights attached!

Hope this helps, Vicki

• klabio
    16 years ago

Rainhandlers?

Here is a link that might be useful: Rainhandler

• brianwhite
    16 years ago

Kate,
    I have built several Craftsman style homes with exposed tails. There really is no way around the fact that your gutters will cover the top half of the tail. However, half of the tail will still be exposed and you will still see the entire open rafter bay from underneath.
    The gutters can be attached in several ways including brackets attached to the tails, hangers attached to the roof(under the shingles), or a 1x4 fascia board can be attached to the tails to go behind the gutter and the gutter can be attached to the board.
    Thanks

• brickeyee
    16 years ago

Screw in style gutter 'spikes' into the tails also works.

• sierraeast
    16 years ago

On an old historic house in old town san diego, there was a detailed open rafter tailed house that had a gutter system up into the roof in the area where the rafters tie into the walls.The gutter was "let in" to the roof.The only area left un- guttered was the over hang section, so still a little run off there, but the majority was caught by the gutter and the nice part about it was that the gutter was out of sight.Never saw a set up like that again anywhere.

• tinny
    16 years ago

Actually, I was thinking of box gutters, not rainhandlers.

Here is a link that might be useful: box gutters

• sierraeast
    16 years ago

Tinny,sounds like box gutters were what i saw in san diego.

• vfish
    16 years ago

We plan to put our gutters on select areas of the house where the run off will be the most severe. I really don't want to cover up the tails either, since I spent so much time and effort getting them up there!

• Happykate
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow! Thanks so much, all of you! I didn't expect so many really helpful answers. I'll bring all these up with our builder & see what he has to say.

Thanks again! Kate.

Sponsored