roxanne9388

Lighting in north facing kitchen

Roxanne9388
10 years ago

This is long-winded. I apologize in advance. My husband and I have finally decided on a house plan after over a year of searching. The only problem is the kitchen faces north. This can't be remedied though because our driveway will come from the north and we will want to have at least one well-used room to face this way to watch kids, see people coming onto our yard, etc. And we will have a covered veranda on the north side of the house. I've decided I really want charcoal grey cabinets (lots of white in everything else). Therefore we still need lots of light. The dining room will be across from the kitchen (south-facing). And I don't want to switch these rooms around as it interrupts flow of the house/kitchen plans. The kitchen will be roughly 15x15 with the dining room slightly smaller. Will light from the dining room windows (2 doors to open deck) be enough added light? Should we add extra windows in the dining room? We have the option of adding an east window in the kitchen, but this will face an angled garage with a bonus room (the garage wouldn't completely obstruct our view though) We would likely only get direct light when the sun is high from the east. What about light tubes?? Someone mentioned these to us but our house has two stories. I don't know if it would work well, but then again I haven't looked into that. And suggestions/ideas are welcome!

Comments (8)

Sponsored