csiddow

1957 Ranch Update - 13 years in the making . . .

Sidgurl
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Houzz ate my post 2x. Last try.

We have lived in this house for 13 years and it was in need of an update. Old, tired cabinets, tiny dining area, tough access to basement through garage), 1970 floors, etc.

I'll post some details in the comments if this posts.

Comments (26)

• jokraybill
    5 years ago

wow, great transformation

Sidgurl thanked jokraybill
  • lucky998877
    5 years ago

What a difference, great job! Enjoy!

Sidgurl thanked lucky998877
  • traci_from_seattle
    5 years ago

Love it! Especially the flooring.

Sidgurl thanked traci_from_seattle
  • Sidgurl
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you Traci. The rest of the house had original 3 inch red oak and we attempted to match it. You can just barely tell the new from the old.

• User
    5 years ago

Wow! gorgeous!

Sidgurl thanked User
  • Mid America Mom
    5 years ago

What a change! Thanks for sharing.

Sidgurl thanked Mid America Mom
  • Sidgurl
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

wanted to add some additional pictures/information but they wouldn't post. I'm trying again.

Our goals were to (1) update the finishes (2) add better access to our basement family areas (3) ease the congestion in the dining area and (4) make entertaining easier. We didn't want to expand the footprint of the rooms and tried to make budget conscious design choices. We kept the sink in the same location and the range in the same location.

Cabinets - local custom cabinet shop - alder stained walnut (walnut was out of price range)

Countertops - quartz. Artic shimmer on the perimeter and concrete on the island. The concrete is super hard to keep looking clean. Doing it again, I would go with all artic shimmer.

Floors - red oak to match existing floors. Installed and finished on site.

Appliances - GE cafe range and dw. GE fridge.

Paint - SW repose gray on walls and SW Alabaster trim

Total budget was ~$75k and includes a bathroom and mudroom not pictured.

• townlakecakes
    5 years ago

Your kitchen is lovely! Having just remodeled our kitchen and had a similar change, what strikes me most about yours is the improved lighting. Gotta love those recessed lights!

Sidgurl thanked townlakecakes
  • PRO
    Stecki Construction
    5 years ago

Wow! Beautiful kitchen! Love the cabinets!

Sidgurl thanked Stecki Construction
  • Becky Harris
    5 years ago

Awesome job!

Sidgurl thanked Becky Harris
  • PRO
    Ancient Stone
    5 years ago

Gorgeous! Well done :)

Sidgurl thanked Ancient Stone
  • PRO
    OTM Designs & Remodeling Inc.
    5 years ago

Gorgeous!

Sidgurl thanked OTM Designs & Remodeling Inc.
  • tartanmeup
    5 years ago

Fabulous! Counter space for days.

Sidgurl thanked tartanmeup
  • TJW
    5 years ago

Stunning! I second the comment about what a change the light makes, but wow, you made some excellent choices! Love it!

Sidgurl thanked TJW
  • Sidgurl
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Regarding the lighting . . . I felt like a kid in the candy store with the electrician. "I will take one of those, and one of those, and a couple of those". It was probably best I had no idea how much I was spending. My electrical bill far exceeded my estimate and the only $$'s I regret are the ones I didn't spend. I wish I would have put in floor outlets in the living room. Thank you so much for all of the kind comments. I agonized over every decision. This kind of work doesn't come easy to me and I knew I probably only had one chance to make good decisions that I will live with for 20+ years.

• townlakecakes
    5 years ago

I feel ya. Our electrical ended up being 25% of our kitchen. We got recessed lights in the dining room, but I regret we didn’t get them in the living room while we were at it. BTW everything else in your new kitchen looks amazing too!

• TJW
    5 years ago

Floor outlets in the living room!!?? Oh wow, we did the same thing with our lighting . . . kept adding on (and no regrets), but never even thought about floor outlets! Oh well, he'll be coming out soon when the new cabinets arrive and you can bet I'll be asking about floor outlets : )

• Keiko Childs
    5 years ago

Love it! I love the rich tones of the wood in the cabinets.

• PRO
    EBL Construction
    5 years ago

What a transformation! Enjoy your updated space.

• PRO
    M&R Custom Millwork Inc
    5 years ago

Fabulous Job!

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    5 years ago

Interesting finish on the cabinets. Like it.

• PRO
    May Construction, Inc.
    5 years ago

Amazing transformation, the finish on the cabinets really complete this look.

Sidgurl thanked May Construction, Inc.
  • 2ManyDiversions
    5 years ago

It's an understatement to say that's a huge difference! Love that great lighting, the finished on site flooring, and cabinet wood/stain. You made quite a few changes! Fantastic... enjoy!

Sidgurl thanked 2ManyDiversions
  • PRO
    Michels Homes
    5 years ago

Looks great!

• Hansen
    5 years ago
    Wow!