redpoint1

How much should it cost to paint the interior of a 3000 sq foot home?

redpoint
9 years ago
Of course it'll vary by region, but what would you all expect? This would include painting the ceilings, also. The house is modern, so it doesn't have any fancy woodwork to paint. There is a cathedral ceiling but it isn't that high--it wouldn't require scaffolding.

Comments (146)

• Joanne Dimaggio
    7 years ago

I'm in Florida ..2700 sq. Ft house is 2700.00$ and it should not be more than 3000$ are you kidding 17,000$ is insane...I'm moving to Seattle to become a house painter

• PRO
    Raayn Construction
    7 years ago

From my experience, most folks want to pay $8k and get the $17k results. Maybe it's just me though...

• Related Discussions

Q

Comments (15)
    In what country are you building this house? 9 foot or vaulted ceilings are taller than the US builder average of only 8 feet (this is the distance from the ground to the ceiling). If you have a small room, having a higher ceiling (even only 1 foot extra) will make the room feel more open and airy. In a small house of 1500 square feet, having high ceilings would go a long way in making it feel much larger than it really is. It is especially beneficial in a hot climate because heat rises so you will spend less on cooling costs. It is not so beneficial in a cold climate. It still looks nice, though!
    ...See More

need help for my own room

Q

Comments (202)
    Pankaj, I just realized that initially you told us that the bathroom area was 12'-0" x 9'-0" and later you mentioned that it was 11'-8" x 8'-0". In the last floor plan, I forgot to change the bathroom with the new dimensions. Below is the floor plan with the correct dimensions for the bathroom. The bedroom is ok, I drew it 19'-2" x 12'-6". The new layout does not change the way things are placed. Everything still fit. The only difference is that the vanity is now 4'-4" long instead of 4'-8". and the toilet is closer to the shower by 1'-0". Can you give me the lengths of the walls K and L. They are the walls between the vanity and the shower area. I will send you the new layout once you give me the length of these 2 walls.
    ...See More

Need Help for my living room lightning please suggest me

Q

Comments (66)
    OK... but the wire wont be lower as it is fixed now. The wire in the pics below is the wall facing each other. They were leveled on equal height but the beam on one wall makes it seem a little above. But i think you guys are absolutely right that up and down lights wont look good there. I think you are right about down lights lessismoore. Would it look good if i go with two different lights on opposite walls??? it would look odd right.
    ...See More

Our living room

Q

Comments (45)
    Thank you Groveraxle for the virtual ! you are too good a designer that is why I cannot help troubling you ;) you have your biggest fan in me ever since your first advice:)) As for an in-house designer I am certainly going to call somebody soon . Just that I get such a lot of options and great advice from highly accomplished and talented Houzz designers ..I would be better prepared after these conversations ..please forgive me for pestering you guys like this:)
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Lorusso Painting & Home Repair, Llc
    7 years ago

here's the thing. Assuming that 17k contractor knows what he is doing and what products to use for that price. the homeowner shouldn't have to get a repaint for another 15 to 25 years. The 4k-8k finished product will start fading in 2-5 years and be needing to be repainted in 8 if you're lucky. I do feel that 17k may have been a bit overpriced. but 10k-12k wouldn't be unreasonable for true quality, lasting, professional work.

• Anne Duke
    7 years ago
    In 2012 I had my public areas, a tall stairwell and hallway painted for $2500. I just had it repainted (didn't care for original color) and the same job was done for $1400. Both jobs by licensed, bonded and reputable painters. Maybe a historical home repaint could be 17k, mere mortals...
  • PRO
    Liquid Painting
    7 years ago

It all depends on the finish. The guy for 17k is going to make the millwork look seamless with a glass like finish. No brushes! This takes a ton of work by skilled painters. The average int. walls and trim 1 color each, done to a high quality standard should come in between $3.30-$5.00 per sq. depending on window treatment and crown molding.

• shars55
    7 years ago
    Well, considering how we can accidentally scuff the baseboards or corners occasionally and need to touch up sometimes, there's no way we need glasslike finishes. A normal paint job works just fine for us...we have no peeling or fading...our paint looks just fine for us, and we didn't spend close to $17,000!
  • PRO
    User
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

The Answer:

Just thought I'd give an update for those that didn't read the entire thread - the homeowner who posted the question paid a guy $25hr. Owner didn't remember exact total, but said it was around $8,000 and was satisfied with results.

Also, since it wasn't mentioned, and many homeowners are surprised by how much painting may cost, remember that most painters are either self-employed or run a business with a small crew.

This means cost covers:

• wages (self and/or employees)
    • business insurance
    • marketing materials (postcard mailings, flyers, business cards, etc.)
    • advertising (more expensive than you might think)
    • our retirement savings
    • vacation savings
    • equipment (I just spent over $1,800 on a dust extractor and sanders. No longer is painting just a brush, roller, and ladder)
    • work clothes
    • tools & supplies
    • health insurance
    • lawyer fees
    • accountants/tax advisor (and/or software)
    • vehicle maintenance
    • vehicle mileage
    • time not working (often there can be days, weeks or even months - seasonal - when there is no work)
    • education/special training
    • family needs
    • moments like this - keeping active on social media. It may not be painting, yet, is certainly beneficial

I'm sure there are a few other things, but, please keep the above in mind.

• Richey Painting
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Blue Sheep Painting has the best answer for painting contractor talk in 2017!

There was a man that I painted for last year (North Dallas, Texas). I painted his entire home plus a couple closets for about $11,000. He bought all of the paint himself and used Benjamin Moore Aura, Regal, Advance and Ceiling Paint. He said that he spent almost $4,000 in paint. I painted one coat on the ceilings, one coat on some walls, two coats on others and three coats on areas that were being painted Moroccan Spice (red) and Orange Burst. I painted two coats on his trim and doors. I cleaned his walls, trim and doors with warm water/ simple green mixture and a sponge. I taped all of his walls to have sharp cleans lines from painting trim. I did minor wall and texture repair work. I put a lot into the work that I did. I also hired a couple subs that I ended up having to let go in the beginning of the project and then had my fiancee help me when she was able to. It took us a month and week to finish his home. I think he got his money's worth, and I got paid well for his project. Now, I am scheduled to paint the exterior of his home this coming week.

There is a lot that goes into a quality paint project. A lot of homeowners do not realize what it takes for a self-employed painter to run his painting business. There are a lot of fly-by-night painters out there willing to cut quality painters throats for cheap, and homeowners pay their miserable quality because they either don't understand, have no discernment, are cheapskates or genuinely can not afford it.

• essa626
    7 years ago

ok I had to get in this. I just had an estimate for our 3400 sq. ft. home. We are converting all of the stained trim, crown, windows, built-ins, some chair rail, and one room with wainscoating to white. The crown has dentil molding throughout; and some of the wood is just beat up. We are having several of the rooms painted as well, probably half, and a ceiling or two will be done along with the kick plates and trim around the steps.

$16,795 was the estimate. It's a big house with a lot of stained wood. I will have all dents, cracks, and cosmetic issues filled in and sanded, there will be smooth caulk lines everywhere and all wood will be primed with oil based primer and then painted.

I have had a crappy paint job or two in my life and it seriously detracts from your house. I have also painted the kids' rooms on my own in the past with a good result, but I am too much of a perfectionist to enjoy it and of course there's no time with work and family. When I converted just one 30 year old double-hung window frame/trim from stain to white it nearly drove me over the edge...I know what goes into this and I don't have it in me.

This is a painting company I have used on and off for 10 years, they do a good job and when I get other estimates they are always on the low end.

It's an insane amount of money if it's just for painting; but trim work is a one -time event. I see it as a restorative update as my home is 30 years old and needs a major style update and the three teenagers and a couple big dogs have beat it up over the past 10 years...we are overdue.

I will do my diligence and get two other estimates, but in the end I probably won't trust them and I'll use the painters I know will do the job right. Pittsburgh suburb, by the way. Good luck to everyone else.

• Equanimity
    7 years ago

We're building a new home in northern New Jersey. We were quoted nearly $30,000 for the entire interior (walls, ceilings, moldings, etc.) of a 3,500 square foot home. The cost to paint the exterior trim, entry doors and garage doors will be approximately $12,000.

• Sheri and Kate Thompson
    7 years ago

Four years ago I painted the interior---ALL of the interior---of the 3400 square foot home my daughter and I bought after my husband died. Cathedral ceilings meant I went back and forth between 30-foot extension and 20-foot step ladders. The existing mud brown walls meant every wall required at least two coats of paint in addition to the tinted primer. I'm now 69 and next month we are moving one last time. My budget includes someone else doing the painting this time so I can keep my knees and rotator cuff for more important things! I'll scrimp someplace else...

• PRO
    Gold Star Enterprises LLC
    6 years ago

I flip homes and if by guys charged me that much for paint I clearly would be out of business. I am also a pediatric critical care nurse and make no where near per hour apparently that of a painter, I guess I chose the wrong profession.

• katandvit
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Actually the answers given by the professional painters above are only partially true - but close. I agree that the painters need to make money. However, many of them make a lot more than you think because they bend the rules and cut corners.

I just finished a remodel that cost me so much that I am embarrassed to admit the price. A good deal of the problems were that I used general contractors for the whole remodel and some of the painters they used were sleazy at best. One of the painters was an employee of the GC and he knew nothing about painting. They had no work for this guy at that time in his real specialty so they used him at $65/hr and 18% overhead. This "painter" took other employees of the GC and had them assist and they knew even less about painting than I do - and I am seriously bad at painting. They think anyone can take a brush, roller and sprayer can paint - and it's not true. I fired that GC because of a lot of bad work including the painting - but his billing was so bad that it would have cost me a fortune to sue him and prove anything.

The next general contractor used someone he called a subcontractor, but it turned out this guy wasn't licensed. He couldn't paint very well either. The unlicensed sub painter hired people to do most of the work and they couldn't even use the right types of paint (eggshell instead of semi-gloss, etc.). I don't know if any of them had done any painting before. Since California would have taken this GC on the carpet if I had reported him for using an unlicensed sub, he eventually returned all my money. But the bad painting had to be re-done and remedial work done also (which I was never reimbursed for). I had to figure out that this subcontractor was unlicensed and told him to throw him off the premises. The GC knew all along and didn't care - and the GC had a good reputation!

The next painting contractor he hired had a license, but had no respect for his work. I think he had been doing it too long. He hired kids (18-22) to do the work and they clearly were not good. I complained and he finally put some people on the job who had painted a few houses before. Finally after 90% or the work was done, the painter came to me and said he needed more money because he underestimated the job. I told him to go to the GC. His people worked about another week and then they walked off the job - saying it was complete. At this point the interior had been painted (on top of the original) 3 times and the exterior twice or more. I got angry and asked the GC to bring in someone to finish the mess and they charged me about $12K for 2 people over 3-4 8 hour days. It turns out this guy never had a contract at all - and felt free to charge the GC anything he wanted and pass it on to me. Again, I got angry and told the GC that this too was illegal (subcontracting without a contract is illegal here too) and refused to pay 50% of the bill. I was being generous since I don't think they really worked half of what they said they did. If you looked at their billing, you could estimate they were charging well in excess of $100 an hour.

So I learned a lot, though I lost a fortune. Painters are mostly good, but there are a lot of bad apples out there. They contract to use one grade of paint and use a cheaper one instead, don't paint as many coats as they agree to, often use young inexperienced "kids" to do a lot of work, etc., etc. You can't easily hire the good painters because they are being honest and doing the job right and often too busy with long waits. They also don't give you a low bid. A low bid is often a sign that they are barely legitimate. In California the biggest problem is unlicensed contractors and subs. The general contractors hire them when they think no one will notice. In short - it is a difficult profession tainted by a lot of criminals. Given that new housing here is almost non-existent (at least in the SF Bay area), many people are remodeling and that is where these people prey on homeowners. The GC's use them routinely when they think they can get away with it. So the professional painters posting above are very true about the real costs of doing business. But only honest people will post here. Painting is just as difficult as any trade and people have high standards these days. To do to right is not cheap. Unfortunately it is next to impossible for the consumers like ourselves to weed out the toads from the frogs.

I've "experienced" many trades that act corruptly. Painting is easier to fake because by the time they are finished and you see the end product, they are long gone. Short of being unlicensed, there are no ways to get them to make it right. If you have an life at all you can't totally micromanage them. And I've yet to meet a GC that will admit that they cut corners using unlicensed ringers like that to make more profit. They play ignorant that the sub did not have a license or did bad work. Perhaps I just am a bad judge of character too. It's hard these days to get three bids - because even if you could find 3 painters to give you a quote, you have no idea of how they will perform. I will never hire a GC or sub again unless I stand over them 24/7. Given the enormous amount of money I lost from everyone (well into 6 figures) - not just painters - I am not about to hire anyone for a very long time. They cleaned me out. I am preparing complaints for the contractors board for 4 of the GC's and subs, but I suspect it will be a waste of time. Moral of the story is watch out. Houzz shows a lot of pretty pictures. But they have no way to show you who is a crook and who is legit. Reviews elsewhere are not accurate. Personal referrals vary - and they can do good work for someone and bad for you. You have to spin the bottle and pray! And I can attest to the fact that even hiring GC's with good reputations is no guarantee of good work.

• PRO
    Shoreline Home Services
    6 years ago

Like so many others have said. There are so many factors that take place for an estimate to happen. Not to mention that this is a multi-national post. I'm in Ontario Canada and I've had 3000sqft homes quote for $3000 up to $25,000 in my area. I had a customer once that specifically requested that every wall and ceiling in the home be skim coated with filler as part of the prep work because they wanted the texture of each wall to be the same. They lived on Lakeshore Road in Oakville (VERY wealthy area). I've had a real estate agent ask to paint a homes walls in "whatever colour you have extra of. Make it cheep". Simply saying "I have a 3000sqft home, what's the price" doesn't make any scene. No homes, no 2 customers, and no ones expectations of the finished product are alike.

• katandvit
    6 years ago

Not to sound jaded, but I really think that many people in any line of work look to the customer and see how much they can get from them. It's like I said, the "Pro's" who post here tend to be the really "professional" ones. The majority of them out there are really looking to take advantage of you. I think out of 2 GC's and easily 20 subcontractors (we did a lot of work), only about 2 subcontractors I would ever hire again, and the rest I would have thrown in jail. Sorry, and I have a lot or respect for Houzz. But you see only the nice side of the street here. Most people I have met that will do work will only do so if there is a big profit in in for them. They will take large jobs immediately, and small jobs get ignored. Unlicensed contractors are epidemic and the San Francisco Bay area is a very well off part of California. All it takes to be licensed is to take an exam when you first get your license, continue renewing it at a certain time interval, and keeping a $15,000 bond posted with the Contractor's board. Is that difficult?

I expect very little when I submit my complaints to the contractor's board, but I would expect that they censure the General Contractors that hire unlicensed painters, and that the unlicensed painters get a stiff fine. It did extend way beyond that too. A one week license suspension will put a stain on someone's license to make it next to impossible for them to be insured.

I am now looking for someone to fix several roofing tiles broken by the painters hired by the 2nd contractor. I have before and after dated photos and neither GC or painter wants to talk about it. It is next to impossible to find someone to repair a roof (replace some broken tiles). If I am lucky, I will find someone to schedule me 6 months out. They give priority to the people who have whole roof replacements - even if they will make 4 times their rate per hour by repairing mine. If I paid them $50K-$70 to totally replace my 90 year roof after 15 years, I would have lots of contractors ready to replace it in a day! If it just gets repaired, it will probably a sloppy job. It's really crazy the way this industry works and I feel for those people who are honest and straightforward.

It all looks so nice, easy, and efficient here - but in reality it is easily one of the slimiest tasks I have ever had to get done (remodeling in general). Most everyone I have ever talked to has had similar experiences. Not one person would ever have any work done again unless they were forced to. I am just so stupid that I thought that I would not encounter these problems. The bottom line is that you will get a whole spectrum of bids for painting and none of them will really indicate what the final job will be.

• PRO
    Shoreline Home Services
    6 years ago

Do keep in mind that licensing and certifications also go by region. BRitish Columbia in Canada has a painting certification and licensing protocol but Ontario does not. The contractors licensing is done by the municipalities, Halton region (which I live in) doesn't have a contractors licence where as Toronto does (it's just an annual fee to the city. No testing, no follow up and no enforcement). I've looked into it several times to try and separate myself from the fly by night companies.

• Pinebaron
    6 years ago

We used Certa Pro in 2010 when we were back in NJ; we had the interior painted just under 3000sf; basement I did myself since I just finished remodeling it. I found these contractors to be extremely professional, did not charge extra when my DW twice chose the wrong color for a bathroom, they had effectively paint it three times. At the time I paid around $2200 + paint, sure I bargained a lot; I found that to be extremely reasonable at the time.

Now we are in the PNW, building a large new home, reality is setting in with this mega sized project. Painting will be a significant cost, though somewhat easier, I intend to have same interior color in every room. I will paint the media room myself with matt black ceilings and chianti walls, too many coats, same as what I had in NJ.

• PRO
    Rockin' Fine Finish
    6 years ago

We are painting homes in Seattle and pricing will vary from area to area repaints will always cost more do to all the prep. we just finished a home 3000 Sq ft everything was repainted and had lots of prep for $16,500

• katandvit
    6 years ago

Gee, I should have moved to Seattle. The basic prep from "orange peel" to smoothwall (L5) by a drywall company cost about $30,000.

• ANM40
    6 years ago

Currently building a 2200 sq ft house with a primed Hardie board exterior & I've gotten two quotes. One was $16,000 for the entire house inside/out & another was $3.50 a sq ft inside & out. I'm in Virginia.

• PRO
    Gentle Touch Services
    6 years ago
    I am in the Houston area and for a 3000 sq ft home depending on how many different colors, sheens, oil or water base, etc. you would expect a base ballpark for complete paint of $13k - $15k + material. That is about a two week job depending on size of crew. For top quality reputable company the average labor rate is from $900 - $1200 per day.
  • katandvit
    6 years ago

I would change my prior answer to this in that it would cost easily
    $20,000 plus materials and could go as high as $40,000 or more plus materials. I
    live in the San Francisco Bay Area, and since new building here has
    slowed to a snails pace, everyone is remodeling and doing lots of
    maintenance work. The people to do that work are few and far between
    and can just about charge anything they'd like. The competitive market
    is gone. If I were to even try to book for a whole house painting now
    with a reputable and known painter/painting company - it would be a 2-6
    months wait, if they would even take the job at all. Probably the most
    difficult thing to have worked on are roofers - who are in extremely
    short supply. It would take an experienced roofer or roofing company
    2-4 months to get to your job if you wanted a major job done (like a
    whole roof replacement). Repairs are longer - almost indefinite wait as
    workers can pick and choose among the big jobs first. It's absolutely
    nuts!

I'm fixing up a house for sale in the fall - and will
    likely have to forego some tasks as some of the people to do that work
    are just not available in the foreseeable future. Painting is one of
    those "booked" professions. That also includes roofers, plumbers,
    electricians, even handymen (all around licensed workers. Some Internet
    "find a contractor" sites are often putting out names of unlicensed
    workers - illegal to hire in this state, putting you in a position of
    totally uninsured liability, and questionable competency.Frankly I
    do not know why someone in these trade professions would not pack up
    and move to this area simply because there is more work than they
    possibly could handle. They'd have to get a trade-specific contractors
    license and put up with ridiculous housing prices - but they would be
    far from out of work - likely most months of the year. I guess this is
    what crosses my head now when I see questions that say "how much would
    it cost to ...." Here, it costs what the market will bear. And the
    market to have work done is totally "desperate" for lack of a better
    word. DIY can get most people just so far.

• PRO
    Most Wanted Painters Inc
    6 years ago
    8-10,000
  • shirlpp
    6 years ago

She had this painted in the fall of 2014...Read her response from 5/2/15.

• PRO
    Better Coats Painting
    6 years ago

As other people are saying it's really hard to give even a ball park with just the square footage of the house. Some things to consider would be are you looking to have your walls alone coloured or are you wanting baseboards and trim done as well, what kind of prep is involved (remove wallpaper, sanding, lots of taping, etc.,) will there be lots of furniture to move around, railings to be stained. I read you want your ceiling done so is there a texture that needs to be removed before painting? If that is the case you'd be looking at priming as well. I would assume at $17,000 there is more to it than a simple 2 coat paint job and 3000ft² is a good sized home. Feel free to check out our site - www.bettercoats.com - there are some blog posts anyone can view and new ones are being added all the time!

• PRO
    Gentle Touch Services
    6 years ago
    I habe seen her response from 5/02/15 and there is no way I would consider touching that job for $2600. That doesnt even come out to minimum wage gees some people. If you want a professional paint job, get quotes from professionals. If you want a day laborer to paint your house go with the guys that say they can paint 2500 sq ft for $2600 and let me know what kind of insurance, warranty, and quality they have... Jk I already know the answer. Do you want Dollar General/Walmart results or American Eagle/Abercrombie or Coach/Gucci or Armanni/Sax 5th
  • leslier48
    6 years ago

I live in Yakima WA and we just painted a 1800 sq ft home including ceilings and trim for 1600 not including paint. This also included carpet cleaning. Not one drip of paint on the floor and no overspray, we are perfectionists, so it may have taken a bit longer, about a week, yet it looks nice and the people are very happy.

• yvonnecmartin
    6 years ago

Our house is 3000 square feet. Two or three painters were here for two weeks, painting everything including woodwork, lots of window trim. Several rooms took two coats to cover. They used Benjamin Moore. This was in 2004 and I paid $10,000. The painter I use now charges $35/hour--he is very particular so the hours add up. I'm in the Chicago area.

• fastedw44
    6 years ago

im a paint contractor 36 years i learned as an apprentice 6 years in a residential union paint co. we even had paint classes each wk to attend . 60 year old journeymen painter who knew the trade taught me. i paid my dues and learned the trade ,we mixed our own colors , drywall prepped for slick walls, marbleized , faux walls , dry brush glazed trim / cabinets . split coated trim (most people never heard of this ) on remodels before finish oil applied , wallpapered , upholstered padded walls etc. and these prices people are talking about that are cheap they cant afford quality which is ok . but if they knew the difference in quality with hours spent they would take back there comments. or should.you really need to have a job scope of detailed plans for accuracy of comments . most folks dont understand overhead ---vehicles , wcomp , liability, shop lights. sprayers , spray tips, , gathering equipment .protecting customers personal items or fixtures etc. . mostly scope work . smooth crown 4 inches wide or dental crown 12 inches wide cheap white laquer undercoater to dry fast so finish fast yehit has pros but little moisture its coming off usually around windows , but oil primers penetrate for good bond .there is hundreds of details to consider . good painters are about a thing of past , but real ones stay buisy and have to profit .heck everyones a painter the new younger generation expect what took mom and dad yrs to get to not learn trade well and paint cheap because they can move a roller up and down .or just want a check .if you cant afford a profesional dont be picky if your paint falls off or tears your clothes rubbing up against it. quality cost . hours of sanding details add up. our customers pay. they know the difference. how about 6 digits paint job labor 13,000 s.f. 35 wks of work or so ,not ripping noone off .finishes differ this one had sandblasted faux barnwood. mixed with automotive paints, blimish free prepped wood with oil base paint . house cleaned everyday after work .ready for next day. its all in what you can afford and clientel .some customers look deeper, before cheaper there are always someone cheaper but be carefull .

• PRO
    User
    6 years ago

Fastw44 most individuals do not have a clue what a quality paint job looks like let alone one that has specialty finishes.

• A Fox
    6 years ago

Adding to the personal experience, we have been slowly having our house in the Chicago area repainted one or two rooms at a time. While this probably will cost us more in the long-run, we don't have the funds to have the entire interior repainted at once, nor the ability to clear out all of our possessions to have it done.

With this approach our 350sf living room recently cost $2100 and two bedrooms and a bathroom totaling just under 400sf cost $1600. We had trim, doors, walls, and ceiling all painted with 8 colors used between the 4 rooms (including the trim and 2 ceiling colors). There was also a fair amount of prep work with our 70 year old plaster walls, including larger than normal holes from the previous owners wall art, cracks, water damage around the living room fireplace and one window, and correcting drips and blemishes from do-it-yourself paint jobs.

At this rate we probably are looking at close to $10,000 for a 2400 sf house, but we realize that a lot of work is also involved to get a quality finished product.

Conversely, I recently had a friend tell me how they got such a steal having their entire three story townhouse painted for under $3000 (walls only). I could definitely tell that they got what they paid for in execution and low quality paints.

• PRO
    CORONA DEL MAR PAINTING CO
    6 years ago

High end painters are very few and far in between today sadly. This has not always been the case but today it is because of many reasons being bundled together as one big confusing mess! Skill is down in entire US and getting worse. Blue collar has become somewhat of a joke or why the heck would you want to be a painter from the white collar point of view. 90% of our competition claims they are also high end painting company’s but charge half or even 70% less. Average citizen today do not know quality of paint if it sat down on their face. Imagine your car and it’s beautiful finish of maybe a wopping 45-55 sq ft which cost minimum for a standard job $80 per sq ft. Doing the math would cost minimum $3600 to paint 40 sq ft. Also I must point out that people take way better care of their cars paint washing it constantly yearly, which also extends the the life of paint notably. The author of the thread posted how much would it cost to paint my 3,000 sq ft home, but painters don’t usually paint the floor especially for what the thread is asking to paint entire interior which your then flipping up from the floor space to double or triple the sq footage of the walls and ceiling space + more, so in all reality of the work the painter will touch is way beyond only 3,000 sq ft. A automotive quality paint job will last 3x the standard or below. One important tip if you are building a new custom home invest some money into a real high end painter and that investment of beauty will last with you the rest of your days. Also don’t ever trust general contractors for finish trade work because from my vast experience quantity makes them money not quality, just standard quality to get the job to pass but there is almost 99% of the time no quality in the details or products used by the painters they constantly work with. That goes for generals claiming custom high end which most of them do. I see brand new 10,000 sq ft custom homes in places like Beverly Hills and other high end areas being painted in the worst commercial quality with designers and large construction firms supervising the entire way. I see these because when they are in the last months of finishes they call me a real high end painting company to ask for a bid on correcting all the work, then they see the price and fall over. Good luck and call us if your in Southern California or Paris and you are really looking for high end.

• PRO
    User
    6 years ago

Del Mar we are in the same situation

• Elizabeth B
    6 years ago

I painted the inside and outside of our 1650sqft home wow did I save us some $$$

• PRO
    Intellipaint
    6 years ago

After reading some of the earlier posts let me sum up the conversation in a simple paragraph I have on the back of my Business cards. " The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"

• Laurie Ridener
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

After reading this whole post, I'm feeling much better. I live south of Boston in a 300 year old, 3400 sf house and recently had the entire interior repainted. I was feeling a little ripped off but not anymore. The crew I had came in and did an incredible amount of prep work, fixing cracked ceilings in three rooms, removing old rotting wall board made out of who knows what, moving all the furniture around and putting the heavy ones back in place, did all the ceilings and trim/doors (lots of trim in this old house), 12 rooms painted 8 different colors, trim and doors all the same color. Took between 2-3 weeks in total, off and on. Crew cleaned up every day before they left. The house is beautiful now! We used Ben Moore Aura paint. Yes, I paid $14,500 (that included everything, all paint, prep materials, plastic sheeting, brushes, labor), but judging by other comments, this was a fair price for the amount of work that had to be done. I am not Ms. Moneybags, but you have to protect your investment.

• Shawn Perry
    5 years ago

A lot of consumers do not realize that painting has so many sides to it. So to be fair and honest with my clients I insist on seeing all potential jobs before any sort of numbers start getting thrown around. Anyone can throw paint on the walls! The homeowner can do that. Prep is painting and if your not prepping you shouldn’t call yourself a painter. Love the guy who goes in with a drop cloth and a set up and starts rolling out the trim 1st thing.joke!!!!! A good quality, trustworthy, reliable, confident painter makes a minimum of $25-45 an hour. I tell all my potential clients to get 2-3 other estimates so you can compare(common sense). I recommend anyone out there getting estimates for painting ask questions. The more you ask the better off you will be when it’s time to decide on a contractor. The cheapest usually is the worst company. Few occasions it goes the other way but for the most it doesn’t!

I wont be the cheapest but I sure won’t be the most expensive. What you will see in my work for the few extra dollars is the exceptional and detailed oriented prep of the surfaces to be painted as well as the protection of your home and items in it. In 5 minutes I sell you on me the painter & owner as well as the descent, respectable, & honest person & it doesn’t take long at all for potential clients to see that I love what I do, care about what I do, & care what the client thinks of me before, during , & after the job is complete. Ask plenty of questions from your contractors and you will benefit. I get so many jobs and it starts with, you were not the cheapest but we felt 100% confident & our comfortability after talking to you was all we needed. 85% of my work is my regular repeat client base & all their friends, families, neighbors, & just plain old word of mouth & reputation.

Quality & Reliable Painters:

prep, 2coats on all surfaces, & if needed to look correct more coats. Quality paint & nothing from Home Depot seriously. I’d throw you out of my house if you walked in with anything from Depot. Ben Moore is ok paint but seriously over priced. I’ve had BM clients for life and after the 1st or 2nd jobs with them I said let me use Sherwin Williams and show you the exact same job or better and save you half the paint cost. Guaranteed or the jobs free. And I’ve never given my labor away yet!!!

Any

• Shawn Perry
    5 years ago

A lot of consumers do not realize that painting has so many sides to it. So to be fair and honest with my clients I insist on seeing all potential jobs before any sort of numbers start getting thrown around. Anyone can throw paint on the walls! The homeowner can do that. Prep is painting and if your not prepping you shouldn’t call yourself a painter. Love the guy who goes in with a drop cloth and a set up and starts rolling out the trim 1st thing.joke!!!!! A good quality, trustworthy, reliable, confident painter makes a minimum of $25-45 an hour. I tell all my potential clients to get 2-3 other estimates so you can compare(common sense). I recommend anyone out there getting estimates for painting ask questions. The more you ask the better off you will be when it’s time to decide on a contractor. The cheapest usually is the worst company. Few occasions it goes the other way but for the most it doesn’t!

I wont be the cheapest but I sure won’t be the most expensive. What you will see in my work for the few extra dollars is the exceptional and detailed oriented prep of the surfaces to be painted as well as the protection of your home and items in it. In 5 minutes I sell you on me the painter & owner as well as the descent, respectable, & honest person & it doesn’t take long at all for potential clients to see that I love what I do, care about what I do, & care what the client thinks of me before, during , & after the job is complete. Ask plenty of questions from your contractors and you will benefit. I get so many jobs and it starts with, you were not the cheapest but we felt 100% confident & our comfortability after talking to you was all we needed. 85% of my work is my regular repeat client base & all their friends, families, neighbors, & just plain old word of mouth & reputation.

Quality & Reliable Painters:

prep, 2coats on all surfaces, & if needed to look correct more coats. Quality paint & nothing from Home Depot seriously. I’d throw you out of my house if you walked in with anything from Depot. Ben Moore is ok paint but seriously over priced. I’ve had BM clients for life and after the 1st or 2nd jobs with them I said let me use Sherwin Williams and show you the exact same job or better and save you half the paint cost. Guaranteed or the jobs free. And I’ve never given my labor away yet!!!

Any

• Christian Giubilato
    5 years ago
    It’s not a service everyone can afford. Just like not everyone can afford a brand new home. I don’t touch anything for less than 4.00 a square of floor space. That’s new construction and very reasonable. Oh you’re a school teacher so I should drop my price down 80% to give you the same paint job as a 5 star restaurant... crazy
  • printesa
    5 years ago

Towb & Country, I wish everyone would give the same price regardless of the neighborhood..Most, as soon as they see the house, their price goes up thinking that the owner can afford it

• HU-397297763
    5 years ago

How much will the labor price be for a 3000 square foot interior to paint house only labor price with the material

• HU-550621701
    5 years ago

My brother is a professional painter and his price would never ever be 15,000 for a 3400 sq ft home! You people are being taken advantage of! The price if its not a large 2 story shouldnt even be $6,000. Start by getting online estimates, and going to Angie's list! BTw, my brother would be very rich if ye cheated people like these people are cheating YOU!!

• shirlpp
    5 years ago

Houzz User - 550621701 - In what state does your brother work? Painting can be expensive depending upon this. Throw in more than one coat along with prep and trim work and it adds up quickly.

• K Frank
    5 years ago

It's funny, when someone says they got a great deal and they talk about over spray. Interior spraying is not a quality paint job unless maybe you live in an industrial hospital! It is comparable to saying you went on a fancy date at Long John Silvers. This thread is so crazy. 17, 000 dollars may not be crazy at all, is there base crown and picture rail? Are you priming over a cobalt blue room and painting the new room pale peach? Are there built ins? Are you staining? Guffaw!

• Christian Giubilato
    5 years ago

Use common sense to think about the price. If someone’s painting your home for the same price that teenagers could do it for on summer break there’s an issue. 5 star paint jobs can be as expensive as 6 dollars per square foot of floor space. That’s just a simple measurement and wouldn’t suggest it for contractors doing any bids. Don’t believe everything you read on a blog.

• Jason Leskiw
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I'm a painter and would like to reinforce a few points. in short, think of paint jobs like the quality and cost of diamonds.

Quality of work matters more to some than it does others. My in-laws paint themselves. The ceiling, baseboard and trim lines are choppy as hell. That's good enough for some people, but not others. There are deep brush marks in the trim, which probably hasn't been sanded in 50 years. Etc.

I was recently on a 3,000 sq/ft house where we only painted crown, base and trim. It cost the customer around $25k. Why? Because a crew of three spend 12 man days sanding ALONE. Then there's replacing hardware, moving furniture, working in high windows while the sun was beating down and it was 100 degrees (paint dries instantly in those conditions). In this case, someone had to foot the ladder in different spots, which adds to the cost.

What that customer got was flawless.

They could have paid half the price. But that almost certainly would have been half the quality.

Also, regional costs vary widely. Cost of living (I'm in the SF Bay Area) drives prices because folks have to pay rent. Materials costs more here than they would in, let's say, Smyrna, Texas. A top-notch or well-skilled painter should be able to earn his or her living. Not starve. It's something that many think they can do, and many can -- but there is a significant difference in quality between individuals or companies..

So it's like this: If you don't mind a few clouds or discoloration in your wedding ring centerpiece, then you can probably go a little cheaper. You can also talk to the painter and possibly work out a job that fits your financial needs. BUT IF YOU WANT A TOP NOTCH PAINT JOB, IT"S GOING TO COST THE HIGHER END OF WHATEVER UNION CONTRACT IS IN YOUR AREA.

So if a foreman carpenter is supposed to make $50/hr, expect the foreman painter to make the same, plus the cost of health insurance, workers comp, bonding, etc etc.

• azureoak
    4 years ago

Following

• Robin Derdzinski
    2 years ago

I just for a quote for our 1400 sq foot Florida home for $8500. This waa sticker shock, and why I am asking. its for some small plaster and crack repair, and painting of all ceilings, closets, doors doors, wall, trim, etc….the entire interior. So this is pretty reasonable?

• Steven Wedd
    last year

People get sucked in by the Benjamin Moore high in paint status and pay 35 to 40% more then they would at Kelly More or Sherwin Williams, like the guy mentioned he paid $4,000 for paint on a $11,000 project, that's just insane, it would cost $1,200 at the the above mentioned stores, the all get the raw materials from the same manufacture Rhom and Haas that Dow Chemicals now owns. I have been in the industry for 30 years, the standard premium commercial grade paint are all 6 & 1 , the same out come appearance and longevity rate. Just to touch on some of what was said on pricing, its easy to just throw a number out there on painting a project, its all about existing conditions or whether it new construction, of what if its a historical project, theres alot of different things that can be going, as well as performance, quality and service, a short schedule for completion can raise the price, the one that had her husband paint the room? I promise you it didn't turn out like a journeyman painter painted it, if that's what you can live with, that's great, but you can't dismiss another's pricing unless you an actual estimator. We painted the Apple head quarters, that was a $14 million dollar contract that took 3 1/2 years. people are surprised when they here that, but it was a 6 billion dollar project, it cost more then the bay bridge remodel. I'm just saying bad mouth people on pricing unless you know factual details.

• chazar
    11 months ago

In 2016 we had our 2500 sq ft home repainted and some wallpaper removed. No trim, just walls. Back then it was $2000 and they did an amazing job, paint is still going strong in 2023. Sherwin Williams matte for main and satin for baths.